How important are pop times for tryout purposes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Don't get me wrong your DD is most likely a strong catcher and the number is probably a fair representation of her skills. My problem with pop times is that I have seen some players claiming 1.6-1.7 pop times that could not throw out granny in a wheel chair. :)

I tell my Players to never, ever offer a pop time, pitch speed, or HS batting average to a college coach unless you are asked. Find another, more effective way to make you case. If you are asked give a range and do not dwell on it.

That was someone else saying 1.9. My DD hasn't been clocked quite that fast. She is, however, pretty accurate at throwing and can and has thrown down runners at all bases (even on third even though she's a lefty). I don't claim she's all that and a bag of chips, but she's getting the work done pretty well and doing her share (ball is not always caught by the infielder).

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Asking for pop times or pitching speeds is most useful in determining the players and parents propensity for BS. IME if the first words from a player, parent, or coach is about pop times, pitch speeds, number of pitches, or HS batting average I know that they are most likely wasting my time.

This. ^^^^^^^^

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Overall, pop times to me are like pitching speeds. They're a measure of whether you're getting better (assuming you are being measured by the same person) but they're not an absolute.

The big question with catchers throwing down to second is can they get the majority of runners out, and make it close on the rest? That's the only thing that really counts on those throws. And as has been said, it's only one aspect of a catcher's game.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Which pop time do they want? The one where the SS is straddling 2nd base of the one where the 6ft tall SS is catching the ball like she's at 1st base or the one where Dad is using the stopwatch??? Such disparity in these times. They should time the catchers in tryouts while watching girls steal 2nd.

You left out the "triple jump" pop time variation - the one where the catcher gets a running start and catches the ball standing up several feet in front of home plate.

Which pop time do they want? The one where the SS is straddling 2nd base of the one where the 6ft tall SS is catching the ball like she's at 1st base or the one where Dad is using the stopwatch??? Such disparity in these times. They should time the catchers in tryouts while watching girls steal 2nd.

You're still missing the umpire - a catcher who prevents an umpire from getting a good look at every pitch when there are runners on base is of little value even if she throws out every runner who does try to steal.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I like Dave Weaver's response to this question. "What's your pitchers time from the plate to home?" IMO, the main goal of any quality catcher is to present the received pitches to the umpire so that strikes look like strikes. The second most important thing IMO is to control the game by keeping the baserunners honest. Pop times in a controlled setting mean little to nothing. What matters is if the catcher can actually throw those runners out in a game on a steal. Pop times do not really enter into these game situations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207