how far/long would you drive DD?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I would say it greatly depends on where you live, and your options. Lucky for us we live in a hotbed of baseball/softball which produces many "options" close. We also have one of the largest and nicest facilities ( perhaps in the country ), 17 fields, only an hour away.

We have had girls play a season with us as far away as 3 hours, pick up players 30mins to a few hours. But mostly the "crew" were within 30mins of each other.

I will add that once the girls moved into true exposure teams after my last year of 14u, they traveled 2-4 hours away for those teams who are more based on the UT Vols side of the state.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My DD was asked to join an organization that was an hour away when she was very young and now into her third year of two times a week were very glad she said yes.

Apr 1, 2010
One year I drove DD to practice about 40 miles away twice a week and the next year I drove DD to practice about 50 miles away twice a week. That was a real drag.

Now she's on a team that has some girls from north of the river and some from south and splits practices between two locations. The distant one is about 30 miles away and the close one is about 20. While I'd love to only be driving 5-10 miles, the travel is much easier now. There are some real softball hotbeds in our metro, but sadly, we don't live in one of them. :-D

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2014
I haven't had to worry about this but I would anticipate it would just be one of several factors in making a decision to join a team. No different than playing time, development, etc. The longer the distance the more of a negative it would be but wouldn't solely make the decision I don't think.

Sep 10, 2013
I haven't had to worry about this but I would anticipate it would just be one of several factors in making a decision to join a team. No different than playing time, development, etc. The longer the distance the more of a negative it would be but wouldn't solely make the decision I don't think.

distance surely is a factor and 4+ hours on the road could be used for something else more productive. then there's always no guarantee of any thing. DD's former team was one of those fly-by-night so we've become cautious, maybe overly so.
decisions... decisions...

Dec 20, 2012
One year I drove DD to practice about 40 miles away twice a week and the next year I drove DD to practice about 50 miles away twice a week. That was a real drag.

Now she's on a team that has some girls from north of the river and some from south and splits practices between two locations. The distant one is about 30 miles away and the close one is about 20. While I'd love to only be driving 5-10 miles, the travel is much easier now. There are some real softball hotbeds in our metro, but sadly, we don't live in one of them. :-D

We lived in rural area outside of town, 30 miles from work. I would have to go home pick her up then turn around and pass my workplace to get 10 miles down the road to dd's practice, about 150 miles a day for me. For a while we were doing this 5-6 times a week(working with pitching coach on non practice days). Never thought much about it until looking back. Homework in the car, dinner in a sack or premade for the week. Lots of $ spent but a ton of quality time visiting with my kid!

Last edited:

amandascarborough

where's the chocolate?
Jan 22, 2014
Everywhere, USA
how far would you be willing to drive your DD to team practice/games? would it be silly to consider driving 2 hours to another state, but DD gets the chance to be on a team that has very good potential to be recognized by college scouts?

just wondering what's your limit.

I don't think you're crazy! It gets to a point where if you are on a 16u/18u team you are playing every weekend, usually a flight or a drive away, anyway, so you're not really having to drive THAT many times to practice. If this is the best team you can get on in order to help your daughter achieve her dreams to play ball in college AND she is getting playing time, then I think it is worth it! Only YOU know your own schedule and if you are able to make it work with what all your family has going on.

Every softball player will have sacrifices come up to make their dreams come true. Instead of looking at it negatively, I would look at it that now she has extra time to spend on homework and study. I know I always found myself doing homework in cars, but it MADE me do it because I didn't have any other distractions. So that time I would have been at home doing that work I would just do in the car. And most importantly, I absolutely LOVED the time in the car that I spent with my dad and my mom. Wow. Those were some of the best times bonding with them listening to music, talking about school, talking about the team or even listening to Astros, Oilers or Rockets games. You will remember those memories with your daughter more than you will remember the calculated time you spent in the car with her...especially if the team ends up being worth it.

I will say, if you are driving 2 hours one way, you are NOT alone, and it happens all the time all across the country.

Sep 10, 2013
I don't think you're crazy! It gets to a point where if you are on a 16u/18u team you are playing every weekend, usually a flight or a drive away, anyway, so you're not really having to drive THAT many times to practice. If this is the best team you can get on in order to help your daughter achieve her dreams to play ball in college AND she is getting playing time, then I think it is worth it! Only YOU know your own schedule and if you are able to make it work with what all your family has going on.

Every softball player will have sacrifices come up to make their dreams come true. Instead of looking at it negatively, I would look at it that now she has extra time to spend on homework and study. I know I always found myself doing homework in cars, but it MADE me do it because I didn't have any other distractions. So that time I would have been at home doing that work I would just do in the car. And most importantly, I absolutely LOVED the time in the car that I spent with my dad and my mom. Wow. Those were some of the best times bonding with them listening to music, talking about school, talking about the team or even listening to Astros, Oilers or Rockets games. You will remember those memories with your daughter more than you will remember the calculated time you spent in the car with her...especially if the team ends up being worth it.

I will say, if you are driving 2 hours one way, you are NOT alone, and it happens all the time all across the country.

does it make a difference that DD's just about to turn 14 and not even in HS yet? or is there no such thing as being too early? i know, sometimes opportunity knocks only once and you gotta be at the door to answer it

Since she was 12 years old I drove the daughter 1.45 hours to a bigger city in-state about once a week for most of the year to practice. For 18's after getting no attention in Southern Idaho, we went for it, and she made a California team, for almost two years we drove 8-10 hours almost every weekend for practices and friendlies. Was it worth it? I'll let ya know in a couple weeks after I watch her pitch her first innings against Pac12 competition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00