How Does YOUR DD Finish Her Swing??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2013
...and does it matter? I have seen girls finish high, finish low, with one hand, or with two, or wack themselves in the back so hard that it has to hurt.

I understand that everyone has their own take on hitting. Previously, I went to a hitting coach who told me if I have a bruise on the center of my back after my lesson, then I am clearly swinging through, finishing hard, and doing everything correctly. After realizing he wasn't the coach for me, I moved on. My current hitting coach believes in a high, one handed finish. This has proven to be very effective for me personally.

I was just curious to hear about some of the ways that you/your DD finishes her swing, and how effective it is!

Aug 8, 2010
The follow thru is a product of the rest of the swing. It can diagnose problems before it. A low wrap around finish probably means a shoulder tilt (or lack of) problem and left elbow turning too low and not getting up and out of the way for the correct hand path.

Jul 20, 2013
DD finishes one handed at the ear. Problem is she tends to let go right after impact but we're working on it and that's why I hear some don't like one hand finish. The one hand finish allows her to get more turn into her swing, we call it replacing the shoulders. You should see the full back shoulders/jersey number at the finish.

Her swing has been described as a baseball swing, the finish is similar to below. I honestly don't think there's a difference in swing types other than the plane you're swinging on (in simplicity) and I don't believe it's a factor when discussing finish.

Gonzalez

Full disclaimer, I really like this baseballrebellion site but I don't think it's for everyone. The full article that discusses their take on the finish is here, where I got the gif.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Up until December my DD would finish her swing after extension as her arms would fold up and hit her back. She could only one bounce the ball to the fence. I always felt as though she left some power on the table. Then one day in the softball dojo (my garage) I asked her to finish her swing so hard with the bat still going and let go with her bottom hand. She was fussy and wasn't buying in to this new technique. This ended up in a fight, many tears and the wife brow beating me. Oh Well. Good Try right?

Two weeks later somehow she took ownership of it and I saw her doing her tee work with her team and she was doing as asked by continuing the swing through extension and a long one hand finish. My thinking was that it would generate more bat speed by forcing her to swing so hard that she HAD to let go.

That same weekend after the change in her very last at bat in a December tourney she hit the very top of a 8 ft fence!! What! What! No lessons and no work other than a couple of combines after the fall season. Her very first high school at bat this spring. Boom! over the fence and she hit number 2 the other night. Just that little tweak made a huge difference. Right or Wrong. It worked!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD finishes with a one hand up over the shoulder. Some issues I've seen with this are she sometimes lets go right after contact and her weight ends up out over the front knee. I think those are products of the finish and that the swing is solid. Just have to work on keeping the weight back.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is our goal...

giphy.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207