How do you afford it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Not quite sure how to put this into a meaningful context. On face value it seems like an apples to oranges comparison displayed in a fruit salad format. :)

What is really confusing are the percentages. Not sure what that is about.

Sorry, tried to copy & paste from excel. Percentages represent #hs or college players/#youth players 8-18.

So about 29% of youth players will play high school and about 2% of youth players will play college at some level.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Sorry, tried to copy & paste from excel. Percentages represent #hs or college players/#youth players 8-18.

So about 29% of youth players will play high school and about 2% of youth players will play college at some level.

Interesting. However, when I divide the number of players by the numbers of teams to obtain the average roster size the results from where I sit are pretty suspect. In the context of the OP I would be interested in knowing the number of TB players, who attended several college showcases, aggressively marketed themselves to multiple schools, and who did NOT receive any type of offer. I strongly believe that regardless of who you play with, if you do your part the chances of playing college ball are very high.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
How to afford it, and mind you our team isn't the huge travel team, we will go out of State Twice for Tournaments. Main softball car has 260,000 miles on it. Other car the back passenger window was smashed out, been covered in plastic for... ummm 3 months now. the kitchen floor is warped where our old fridge leaked. No cable (now that really sucks sometimes). Haven't been clothes shopping in a few years. Gave up most of my expensive hobbies lol.

It has all been worth it since my DD has played competitive since 9 y/o and now will be finishing up playing 18. She doesn't want to play in college so we were never in that frantic place to get her on one of those teams. Bottom line, you can make it work if YOU want to make the $$$$ work. Yes you must go without stuff.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
There are enough teams in NJ that don't charge an arm and a leg. Kraze is one. Lady Diamonds and the Fillies out of the Warren area which is a small haul from East Brunswick but teams that might work out.

Glad to see your DD is pitching. Kudos to K....

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Here in NJ, you don't have to pay huge money to play on a quality 16/18U team. I know of several that charge under $2000 and are in the bigger showcases in this area. Travel becomes the big cost, you're on your own to figure out your plans for trips to Florida, Colorado, Atlanta, etc. But if you can find a team that plays in the Team NJ and Pennsbury Gems showcases, your daughter will have plenty of opportunities to show college coaches what she can do.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
We laughed about it because for years our vacation was a softball tourney in some state.

Some families take vacations that aren't softball related :confused:

I say this after the largest travel budget we have ever seen in our family. San Antonio, Dallas, Brenham, Northern Colordao, Florida, Southern Georgia, ...etc. Wouldn't think of changing anything !

Jul 2, 2013
Once again, we are probably talking about families who cannot afford hotels, travel, extra fees.

This is real, reality. Plenty of folks are in this situation. It is not a matter a balance ... adjustments ... there is little or no money, period.

This does not mean they cannot become great softball players, nor get recruited.

Remember ... the TALENT of your DD determines her fate for the most part. Decisions for the poorer players is "how best do I develop her talent" with the least amount of money.

Keeping her on the local field, and practicing like you are on a mission at home, is usually an answer. High Schools have more value in this scenerio.

It is the internet age. Great talent spreads fast.

May 18, 2009
Once again, we are probably talking about families who cannot afford hotels, travel, extra fees.

This is real, reality. Plenty of folks are in this situation. It is not a matter a balance ... adjustments ... there is little or no money, period.

This does not mean they cannot become great softball players, nor get recruited.

Remember ... the TALENT of your DD determines her fate for the most part. Decisions for the poorer players is "how best do I develop her talent" with the least amount of money.

Keeping her on the local field, and practicing like you are on a mission at home, is usually an answer. High Schools have more value in this scenerio.

It is the internet age. Great talent spreads fast.

I've seen players share a room with a coach if their family can't afford to travel. Family goes to the local games 1-2 hrs away but stays home on the longer trips.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Our 18U org has team rooms that the girls stay in so a parent doesn't have to go. It does reduce the costs to the family and makes HS kids be responsible for going to bed, waking up, their equipment and food intake. It doesn't always work in college or HS.

Sending a player with the coach seems a bit creepy.

Jul 2, 2013
THE thing about folks in this world, everywhere, even if poor ... they have tremendous pride. They are not looking for favors. Maybe do not want to share rooms with head coaches.

What they are looking for is a playground. A place their DD can refine her craft. Where she can elevate and become the best softball player she can be.

They really do not want favors. They understand their path will be much tougher. It is accepted, and they are prepared to travel the tough road.

But what they really want ... is for the softball establishment to recognize that softball talent is not an economic issue. The poor has some sort of opportunity ... inherent in the process.

That is for the softball establishment to decide. All is wanted is a chance. Sure the balance is not equal ... that is not the question. But just a near equal chance. For a poor ... driven ... super hard working player will trump a priveledged. not so hard working player, just about every single time.

So for every super org who is demanding premium dollars ... remember, there is another player just as good as you, who's parents are broke who can whoop you up.

That is where I want softball to be. I know it will never happen. But the more I can get on my soapbox and declare this wish ... the closer the impossible becomes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes