How do you afford it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Will she be stuck playing on mediocre teams the rest of her travel career because I do not make enough money? How do you finance such a large bill?

Lothar, I would say that your DD is extremely fortunate to have parents who have found a way for her to play a sport she loves even if you cannot afford the "elite" teams. That is something to be proud of and be very grateful for, not something that you should feel any shame over. When I was young, I tried out for and made an AAU team, but in the end, there was no way for my parents to afford it. Looking back, there is no way they could have, should have, or would have gone into debt so that I could play on an elite team, and I finished out playing in the local rec leagues. I was not going to play ball in college, and there was no athletic career in my future. The lesson I learned was that sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture and make tough choices. That one was a no-brainer.

Find a team that will challenge your DD to get better, and one that she enjoys, and save your money for college or whatever it is your DD (and other kids?) may need to help them in the future.

Apr 29, 2013
What do you do if your 14U kid has the talent to play for an elite team and college, but you can't afford the travel? That's kind of where we are right now.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Find a team that will challenge your DD to get better, and one that she enjoys, and save your money for college or whatever it is your DD (and other kids?) may need to help them in the future.

I think PA SB Dad has sound advice here, as well as other posters. We get the best gear we can afford. We make sacrifices. We do our best to further the interests and activities of our kids when those activities further their development and keep them out of trouble.

Jul 2, 2013
What do you do if your 14U kid has the talent to play for an elite team and college, but you can't afford the travel? That's kind of where we are right now.

You are not alone.

Much matters what kind of local softball environment you live. If it is "active" you can get there playing local. If not, save your money and plan ahead to have her play for an "elite" team for the one summer season that has the most impact. My experience is her 1st 16U season.

If you cannot afford that, relax, and rest assured ... if she is good enough ... some college will find her. Maybe not the top school she is looking for, but a D2 school, or low level D1 school.

The scouting combine is extensive, People talk. Not having money can be overcome. But keep practicing, in your backyard, or the local field. Dig, dig, and dig.

14U is early to get recruited, except the truly blue chip players.

BEAT the "elite" teams, on your local field, and you are a long way to getting there.

Today's economy is really squeezing the middle class. many cannot afford. Do not start thinking you cannot obtain your softball goals because of money. You can get there, it is just harder, and the offers may be lessor.

For example ... if your DD can really "ball" ... she can pick her college carefully in advance ... get a loan ... get enrolled, and befriend the coach AND WALK ON. Get a scholarship in her sophomore year. Examples at the highest levels of softball are documented this way.

Remember ... it is your DD's TALENT that matters. How much money her parents may have only determines the LEVEL of school she gets offered.

Though I may get in trouble with this board, and others for saying this. One of the reasons the top flight schools offer double the scholarships ... is because experience has taught them that half the players may be propped up by money, and influence and may not be what is advertised.

Once you get into it, you will realize that there are a bunch of colleges looking for that poor softball player, from the hicks, who can play a mean game of softball. You are thinking a little early though at 14U.

If you are good enough ... they will find you.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Find a team that has a successful record placing players with your daughters skill set. If her skills and academics could use some work, JUCO may be her best bet. The costs associated with getting placed into a JUCO are much less than a Big D1 via a top name team. Many JUCO's offer comprehensive financial assistance and may well fit into your budget. JUCO can often lead to bigger and better things. My DD is at a top JUCO program and after her performance last season has an official visit scheduled with a Big 10 team and another with an SEC team with a couple others in the works.

The truth is that if you cannot afford the costs of a top travel ball program you probably cannot afford to pay the difference after scholarships in the programs where they will try to place her. Every year I see players seeking scholarships at big name/high cost schools who unfortunately in the absence of a full package cannot afford to attend the school. It is a balancing act between desires, abilities, and financial resources and you have to be brutally honest as to what is realistic. Sit back and honestly assess where you are and where you want to go, make a realistic plan, and you will get there. There is a place for your daughter, you just need to find it.

Got this from "Prospect Rankings" dated 2012...not sure of accuracy.

# Players......% Partic.....# Teams
Youth 8-18 1300000
HS 373535..... 28.7%
D1 5285....... 0.4% ..........289
D2 4905....... 0.4% ..........265
D3 6964....... 0.5% ..........381
NAIA 3868..... 0.3% ..........198
JC 5609....... 0.4% ..........339

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Got this from "Prospect Rankings" dated 2012...not sure of accuracy.

# Players......% Partic.....# Teams Youth 8-18 1300000
HS 373535..... 28.7%
D1 5285....... 0.4% ..........289
D2 4905....... 0.4% ..........265
D3 6964....... 0.5% ..........381
NAIA 3868..... 0.3% ..........198
JC 5609....... 0.4% ..........339

Not quite sure how to put this into a meaningful context. On face value it seems like an apples to oranges comparison displayed in a fruit salad format. :)

What is really confusing are the percentages. Not sure what that is about.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know if there are the great number of team in NJ, that there are here in AZ. So, that might not be on your side.

I have a former student that is in dance. There are 2 sisters in dance class. The mom posts on FB that they are holding fundraisers. They do bake sales and rummage sales and they ask for donations of items. It looks like begging to me, but both parents work and with 4 kids, they are doing what they have to do.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
We are in New Jersey

Lothar, there are a number of folks on here from NJ and PA. You can PM me or anyone else to get their take on the situation in NJ. What I've found is that you do not need to spend $2000 a year to play on a good team (though there are plenty of bad teams that charge $2000 a year :rolleyes:). If your DD can play, try out for the big name organizations and see what they can do to help. Even if they can't they may be aware of other good teams and organizations that are more affordable and can get your DD seen.

Apr 29, 2013
You have no idea how much we needed to hear this right now. Thank you.

You are not alone.

Much matters what kind of local softball environment you live. If it is "active" you can get there playing local. If not, save your money and plan ahead to have her play for an "elite" team for the one summer season that has the most impact. My experience is her 1st 16U season.

If you cannot afford that, relax, and rest assured ... if she is good enough ... some college will find her. Maybe not the top school she is looking for, but a D2 school, or low level D1 school.

The scouting combine is extensive, People talk. Not having money can be overcome. But keep practicing, in your backyard, or the local field. Dig, dig, and dig.

14U is early to get recruited, except the truly blue chip players.

BEAT the "elite" teams, on your local field, and you are a long way to getting there.

Today's economy is really squeezing the middle class. many cannot afford. Do not start thinking you cannot obtain your softball goals because of money. You can get there, it is just harder, and the offers may be lessor.

For example ... if your DD can really "ball" ... she can pick her college carefully in advance ... get a loan ... get enrolled, and befriend the coach AND WALK ON. Get a scholarship in her sophomore year. Examples at the highest levels of softball are documented this way.

Remember ... it is your DD's TALENT that matters. How much money her parents may have only determines the LEVEL of school she gets offered.

Though I may get in trouble with this board, and others for saying this. One of the reasons the top flight schools offer double the scholarships ... is because experience has taught them that half the players may be propped up by money, and influence and may not be what is advertised.

Once you get into it, you will realize that there are a bunch of colleges looking for that poor softball player, from the hicks, who can play a mean game of softball. You are thinking a little early though at 14U.

If you are good enough ... they will find you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12