How do I teach DD to keep her hands back while turning the barrel?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2012
https://youtu.be/ac67xZ5Kmcg

Just saw this video by Swingbuilder. He is saying to drop the barrel behind you as you turn the barrel. Is this b/c as you drop your back elbow and barrel behind you then as the back hip turns it put the barrel in the position it needs to be? Which now puts the barrel heading towards the catcher. Is this the move I need to teach DD?

Thanks

I think it's an important concept/feel to get correct

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
rb0685_zpsodzrbvkl.gif

Might as well share the whole work out:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...book.com/bryceharper/videos/1086390264752250/

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Not sure I understand your question. You don't want the hands to 'stay back' THEN 'turn the barrel towards the ball'.
cabrerra6_zps6481d663.gif~c200.gif

It's not turn the barrel THEN go forward towards the ball. It's turn the barrel AS/AND you go forward towards the ball.
Ortiz_060213_highside_loop.gif

Maybe you are asking about the 'missing frames/stretch' that has the lower body(unloading) going as the upper continues(load) to 'load/stretch/loading in the unload'.

Thanks Bass. This was huge "It's turn the barrel AS/AND you go forward towards the ball."

Sorry about all the confusion. I just want to make sure that I understand how to explain the turning of the barrel. What has to be done to get the bat in the right position? Is it by the hands going up which cause the bat head to drop as the hips start to turn? I think I am close to understand the move.

Thanks for your patience.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Why would you drop the barrel behind you before you know where the ball is? how can you steer the barrel with your rear hip? The barrel drop or "angle" is totally dependent on the pitch height.
I do like the thought of the barrel dropping towards the catcher, as opposed to the drop barrel behind you thought. This whole "push thing has gotton out of hand and is being misinterpreted, the hands/arms must move /extend to give the barrel room to work properly.

Thanks for replying Mann. Yes I understand that the barrel is not launched until you know where the ball is at. But it looks to me that the hands move up which causes the bat head to drop but it really do not drop behind you it drops towards the catcher because the shoulders are rotating. Is that correct? Hopefully, that is not confusing.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Let's see if this helps.
What has to be done to get the bat in the right position?
First 'direction' must/will take place:
miggy%20overlap_zpseuir29my.gif

This above....
Is it by the hands going up
Yes...
Are his hands going back, are they going forward or are they pretty much staying in the same place (not talking up/down but rather distance from pitcher) - while he moves/reposition's his middle?

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Yes I understand that the barrel is not launched until you know where the ball is at.
I would be careful with interchanging the terms "swing launch" and "barrel launch". That sloppiness has gotten a lot of so-called gurus in trouble. In fact, some of them have never recovered from the oversight. :D

So what do I mean? I was watching the Yankee last night; Brian McCann was at bat Paul O'Neil was doing play by play. McCann hit's a long shot deep into the upper deck - just foul. O'Neil comments "just missed getting his hands inside the ball, enough to keep that one fair".

Bottom line: Learn the proper hand-path for the pitch, learn how to load the barrel and learn how to launch the barrel through the ball.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2013
Texas
I would be careful with interchanging the terms "swing launch" and "barrel launch". That sloppiness has gotten a lot of so-called gurus in trouble. In fact, some of them have never recovered from the oversight. :D

So what do I mean? I was watching the Yankee last night; Brian McCann was at bat Paul O'Neil was doing play by play. McCann hit's a long shot deep into the upper deck - just foul. O'Neil comments "just missed getting his hands inside the ball, enough to keep that one fair".

Bottom line: Learn the proper hand-path for the pitch, learn how to load the barrel and learn how to launch the barrel through the ball.

Thank you Howe. This is exactly why I post this thread.
Bottom line: Learn the proper hand-path for the pitch, learn how to load the barrel and learn how to launch the barrel through the ball.[/QUOTE]

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013

Thank you Howe. This is exactly why I post this thread.
Excellent. Here's a vid right up your alley.
Posey_InMidOuWLines.gif

Direct/Load - the barrel is not yet launched in these vid's:

rb0685_zpsodzrbvkl.gif

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Bottom line: Learn the proper hand-path for the pitch, learn how to load the barrel and learn how to launch the barrel through the bal
l.

Once you understand what Howe has said in the quote above, when it clicks, you must learn the best way to implement it to each player.
One thing i like to tell my players in addition to the Bold above, is that each pitch has the proper hand And barrel path, that will result in a slightly raised line drive, from a ball on a Gatorade bottle, to letter high , in and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi