How can I improve my softball hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

Rage710

I've been playing softball for years, but I've never been a good hitter. My contact is good, but rarely gets out of the infield. Any suggestions?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
You didn't really include enough specifics to comment on, however as a starting point it helps to create a proper mental image of what makes up a good swing. I find that all good swings include the following general principles, and when I instruct I use these four areas as a blueprint.

1. A good sequence
2. A weight shift using the hips
3. A good hand flattening move where the hands stay up at the back shoulder as the back elbow slots/tucks down while the front forearm lifts up off the chest.
4. Launching the swing from a balanced position.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I've been playing softball for years, but I've never been a good hitter. My contact is good, but rarely gets out of the infield. Any suggestions?

The four most basic "Core Fundamentals" to being a good hitter are these:

1. SEE THE BALL!!! (Focus and concentrate on the target you are trying to hit... The ball.)
2. GOOD TIMING!!! (Have good timing and rhythm with the pitcher and within your swing sequence.)
3. GOOD BALANCE!!! (Have good dynamic balance and athleticism through the swing.)
4. AN EFFICIENT BAT PATH!!! (Have a path to and through the hitting zone that gives the most consistent quality impact on the ball.)

The finer details of the swing and hitting a ball all fall within these core fundamentals. Before criticizing your swing start at number one on this list. Master seeing and focusing on the pitch. Then work on the swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole