Hitting the spots OR learn new pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2011
Pitchermom, does your daughter have unusually large hands? The reason I ask is the two changeups you mention both require good size hands to throw. She may find that it's tough to throw those pitches when she moves up to the larger ball.

I have to admit I am highly skeptical that she has more than a fastball, somewhat of a changeup, and a bunch of grips that result in the same pitch. I've been teaching for a long time and have found that in the first year even an advanced student (read: older) is lucky to throw a good fastball and change, and a fair drop. I think you'd be better served, as others have said, focusing on mechanics, location and a couple of pitches rather than trying to do so much or add more.

I'd also seek out a second opinion on where your daughter is now from a highly credentialed coach. Not saying your PC isn't correct, but what you've been told is making my Spidey-sense tingle. If Bill Hillhouse is doing a clinic in your area sometime that would be a great place to go. Other well-known pitchers/pitching coaches also do clinics which would work as well. It never hurts to get what she's learning checked out. I actually encourage my students to do it -- probably because I know that they get lots of compliments for their mechanics.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

We have been to see Bill Hillhouse once this past year and we will schedule another time when he comes in our area. He gave us a little "homework" that we work on during our practice now. We are also planning to see Ernie Parker this year as well.

She doesn't have unusually large hands IMO. Personally, I believe her knuckle change up is better, but she prefers to throw the circle change up. She tried to throw the Jennie Finch change-up, but she didn't have the strength to do that one OR just couldn't grasp it. She is by no means perfect in any of these pitches, but she has worked hard over the past year and that hard work has paid off. She has also pitched with some older pitchers and has learned from them and she watches the college players.

After reading all the posts, I believe we will consider changing how long/how often she practices and we will work on perfecting the spots on the FB and change up (high/low, in/out).

I truly appreciate all the comments/opinions.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
One of the best things that I have found to help any pitcher, is to teach the catcher to catch. That may sound strange, but very few take lessons or have been shown anything. They are on their toes, using a fielder's glove, and setting the girls up, down the middle. I let catchers come to pitching lessons for free, because it helps my pitchers.

Good luck and have fun. My pitching daughter is grown, with a daughter of her own. She already has tiny cleats.

Mar 13, 2010
After reading all the posts, I believe we will consider changing how long/how often she practices and we will work on perfecting the spots on the FB and change up (high/low, in/out).

Pitchermom that sounds perfect.

Just of interest would you be willing to put a video up of your daughter? There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who would be able to tell you if your pitching coach is legit.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I was shown the grip for the 'Slider' by a friend that played for the Baltimore Orioles organization. He was an outfielder and was shown it by one of their pitchers. That same grip, thrown underhamd, turned into a cut riseball. It had a tremendous amount of spin.

I played around with that grip (and my mechanics) and also discovered it had tremendous spin and movement when I threw it as a cutter.

This pitching instructor sounds like he is a former baseball player to me.

Feb 1, 2011
WOW Pitchermom, your daughter seems very mature for 9yr old. My 10yr old is only 4'5" and weighs 75lbs. She has been pitching for a year and and a half and just now working on change-up. My 13yr old is working with 3 pitches right now FB, CU, Screwball and roll-over drop. She uses the FB and CU regularly and the SB ocaisionally in games.

Dec 10, 2008
I have not gunned 9s, but 10s whose parents or coaches brought guns have been around 40 at the top end. Remember, as said, it is 35 feet. You can be pretty dominant from that distance with a little height especially (long stride).

My 10 yr old has thrown 47 from 35 and cruises 45mph,juggs gun. She has a long stride and still hitters in ASA hit the ball. Not all the time but most of the pitchers in 10U good teams are 45mph. She only throws a change and fastball. IMO location will become more important at 12U level when the hitters(especially older 12U) start to hit pitchers good even in 55mph range.

Dec 10, 2008
Guns are different and speeds are like golf scores. Not always that accurate.

Agree with you. I don't have to lie about that. I have a first year 12 that throws 50 also.Both pitching for 4 yrs and good size.Big deal! My point was that in ASA here in Northern Illinois it is common for you to see that speed. Anyone can hit speed . Now hit a good change or place a ball on corners and you have something. Save the junk for when they are older and don't kill their arms.

Who doesn't complain about being in outfield. LOL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan