High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2015
I just got the call from school. DD needs her uniform. Today's game is back on. WOOOOT!

Yesterday's game was worth waiting for. Lefty DD took a ball and then sent the second pitch of her HS career over the left centerfield fence to give her team an early two run lead. It was her first "over the fence" hr ever so she was thrilled. She followed it up with a double over the left fielder's head and some solid play in right field to help in a winning effort for her team. It was a great start to the season.

Supposed to play again tomorrow but the forecast is calling for snow showers with a little accumulation. We'll see.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Won another one today against a pretty good team.

It was the first team that figured out that we can't field a bunt... Our 3B doesn't charge hard and relies on her arm strength, coach doesn't have our 1B crash, our catchers either don't pop up well or can't throw straight and we rely on our pitcher to field all bunts on 1B side....

But after the 2nd inning they stopped bunting for no apparent reason I can figure out. So we ended up winning easily.

We have spring break next week - senior night on the 17th and then districts. Hoping we get a tourney game or two before the district game or we will be underdone going into districts.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I would like to make an earth rattling post here but need my coaching position for the next two years. In short, both parents and players make themselves miserable by watching their stats. If I did one thing right about raising my dd as a softball player, it was that she was taught this very principle. As a player, you can never get too high nor too low. As a parent, you are doing your child a disservice bragging about how great your child is at a HS Game and making excuses when they fail.

Deleted the rest of this response. My blood pressure has to be off the charts. LOL

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Three big district wins this week! Finished the sweep of two of the top four teams. Now we only have to split with the perineal district champs and take care of business in a couple more games to win the district. DD had a rough week at the plate. Some was bad luck and some were just bad at bats. We've got the weekend to get in some extra BP and get her grooving again. I've found it's a lot easier to discuss bad at bats during BP than on the way home, lol!

Also got to see a few of our TB girls this week. We've got a lot of TB girls showing off as freshman and sophomores this year!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD plays Maksoftball DD's team tonight. Just so ya know, their team will win district this year and run ruled us with a no hitter last game. I expect much of the same tonight, unless they pitch another pitcher. Even then, I expect much of the same! I think my DD's hitting streak will come to an end tonight. Good luck!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD 3 and her catcher were called down to the JV2 level yesterday evening.

DD 3 ONLY got one HR in the game. No fence, so only in-the-park. Another hit would've been a HR, except the girl in front was very slow and stopped at third, so only a double.

DD 3's catcher had two in-the-park HRs, one was a grand slam.

After that, intentional walks the rest of the game for both of them. Some of them had played TB with another girl on the team, so she was intentionally walked every time.

Good news is, since the Varsity and JV games were canceled, the head coach decided to watch the JV2 game. The head coach talked to DD 3 for a short time after the game, said her pitching was really good that game. Probably didn't mind the hitting either.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2013
Rained out last night, sometimes it is nice to have a night off from HS softball. Cooked some food on the grill and watched the movie "42" with my daughter.
With the rain out I think we have a game Monday thru Thursday next week and a tournament starting on Friday.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Figured I'd update this before I go to bed. I would have updated this sooner, but... I got back home a little bit ago from a concert. Soo...here's at it.

We played game 1 this morning and we had a decent game. Not great...but decent. We won 5-3. I went 3 of 4 with a single a double and 2 RBI with a sac fly and a strikeout.

The second game however was a totally different bag of worms. We got owned by a team we had no business being on the field with. We lost 18-1. I went 1 of 2 with our team's lone hit and lone run...a homerun which was my second of the season. Our pitcher just didn't have it today. I was trying to calm her down and get her back into the groove of how I know she can pitch...but nothing helped. To make matters worse...coach comes out to the circle with me since I motioned to him to come. He asks me what I think if we should pull her. I say yes you should. He decides not to pull her. He doesn't decide to change pitchers until an inning later. He then yells at me after the game and says I never said to remove her when I said to pull her. I even said that she isn't throwing strikes and after I asked her how she felt she said her arm was tired. But I still get yelled at anyway. Don't understand why.

Thankfully, this crazy week is about over. We have a makeup game Monday and then we can take our spring break. Rehoboth Beach outlet malls... Here we come!

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
In short, both parents and players make themselves miserable by watching their stats. If I did one thing right about raising my dd as a softball player, it was that she was taught this very principle. As a player, you can never get too high nor too low. As a parent, you are doing your child a disservice bragging about how great your child is at a HS Game and making excuses when they fail.

I have read this several times in the last few days. It could not be more true.

I'll add that discussing stats such as AVG with a hitter or worse yet numbers of hr's your kid or some other player has hit seem to be ways to really screw up a hitters brain. Even when you tell yourself you are doing it in a "positive way". To me, the only thoughts that are productive are pretty limited to things like "get a good pitch to hit. make solid contact". Maybe not even that much. Hopefully in games the training takes over an things just happen without thinking about it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse