High School Records

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2014
I have a question and I'm not sure if this is the right place for it. Do most high schools have the individual records for their softball program available ? I have asked our AD for them and he said he has stats from when he took over 8 years ago. No records have been kept. Is this common for a lot of high schools ? Also I have asked to look at the score books for the last 3 years and was told that I could contact the coach for HIS stats for the years I was looking for. I now that HS stats don't mean a lot but I would just like to see them and see how things are scored. Just looking for any help or advice. Thanks

Jul 3, 2013
Stats are kept via game changer , but are not available to anyone except the coaches. Each player is given their individual stats at the end of season banquet.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We have had an adult keep records for both the baseball and softball program for all the time I've been at my school. So, 18 years plus. Those scorekeepers have the records on their computers. I asked the softball person and quickly received a copy. So, ask your AD if the record book is available.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have a question and I'm not sure if this is the right place for it. Do most high schools have the individual records for their softball program available ? I have asked our AD for them and he said he has stats from when he took over 8 years ago. No records have been kept. Is this common for a lot of high schools ? Also I have asked to look at the score books for the last 3 years and was told that I could contact the coach for HIS stats for the years I was looking for. I now that HS stats don't mean a lot but I would just like to see them and see how things are scored. Just looking for any help or advice. Thanks

With very few exceptions, there is no requirement from a state association for a coach to keep statistics in any sport. (Florida might be an exception in football.)

It's possible that an athletic director might mandate keeping statistics, but I'd expect that to be rare. Therefore, coaches who keep statistics (or have them kept) are doing it for their own benefit, meaning they belong to the coach, who can then decide who gets to see them. Some will post them online (ie, MaxPreps). Some will let nobody see that stats except the assistant coaches. Some won't keep stats at all.

As far as keeping them year to year, it's surprising how much is just tossed out. I did a project several years ago of trying to compile season statistics for state championship football teams through the years for a particular state. You'd be surprised how much of it had been trashed or couldn't be found. They might know about school records, but if you're looking for detailed stats from Central High's 1995 state championship team, it might be lost forever.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
You could try looking on MaxPreps, but keep in mind that will only go back about 10-15 years, and only if the school has been uploading their info.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sending FOIA requests to the HC, AD, Principal, Superintendent, and Board of Ed probably would be productive (as well as being the surest way to have your DD blackballed)!

Oct 7, 2014
I agree the FOIL would be a good way to get the stats and school records, only if the records exist. I'm not sure why it would be taken personally and the possible blackballing of my DD. If the records were available like a lot of other sports it would be a non issue and girls as well as coaches and parents would know then and if a kid was close or possibly broke one. As far as the books, the box scores are put in the paper after every game but just the score, hits, errors as well as the pitchers and catchers. Our school does not used Gamechanger, Iscore or submit stats to Max Preps. Don't school employees essentially work for the tax payers who's kids go to that school? JMHO

Oct 7, 2014
One would have to think they are public records, there are state records in our state with names, schools and grade dates for all sports. Also the names are put in the paper and TV news after the games for all sports so that's any interesting point.