High School "PC"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I would approach the coach and explain her mechanics. I've found most that teach the old school style tend to do so out of ignorance and not knowing or understanding why Hillhouse teaches what he does. I would then explain, the 2-3 months of using bad mechanics will take 8 months to correct. If at that point, the PC is so stubborn and arrogant not to listen, your choice is made. Either she doesn't pitch for that team or you walk.

OK, I gotta belly up to the bar on this one.

So open mechanics are the New school', thats what your alluding to. Well bubba, you have been brainwashed then. In the early 1960's I saw a traveling softball team fron New Zealand, they were touring and playing exhibition games in California. My mom was a

s driver and volunteered to drive there bus to some games in the SF Bay area. THEIR PITCHERS THREW WITH OPEN MECHANICS.

I am sure they didnt invent that the week beforer they arrived. It has been around a lot longer than me, 75 maybe a hundred years or moire. And this is what you consider the 'New school' wat to pitch??

GET REAL AND STOP SPREADING YOUR PROPAGANDA, please.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Assistants have to go through the same process as head coaches.
So-called consultants can only do a limited amount of practice visits and can't be called coaches.

In the State of Illinois, Certified Teachers can coach but have to do certain things such as CPR Training but do not have to do the NFHS training. Most of that has been accomplished anyway through various workshops that we must continue to take which include all facets of coaching and for such we receive either CPDUs or CPUs. (Continuing Education Units) Any volunteer or non teacher has to do the NFHS training and must be approved by the school board. No other "consultants" can work with teams in Illinois. If teams are doing that, they are in violation of a couple of IHSA Rules.

Out in Left Field, if your school allows "consultants" to work with players, how do the coaches get past the most basic state law requiring background checks by the school districts to work with students? I thought that was required in all 50 states. If they pass these checks then they can qualify as volunteers and after school board approval can be called Coaches.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I can assure you plenty of consultations happen in the BB world. That could be a former college player parent, former MLB parent, college coach, or instructor. Some of the best advice/consulting I've seen happen without the "consulter" stepping on the field, just on the other side of the fence. They can't be "official".

459'smom

Eat sleep& breathe sofbal
Feb 25, 2013
I would approach the coach and explain her mechanics. I've found most that teach the old school style tend to do so out of ignorance and not knowing or understanding why Hillhouse teaches what he does. I would then explain, the 2-3 months of using bad mechanics will take 8 months to correct. If at that point, the PC is so stubborn and arrogant not to listen, your choice is made. Either she doesn't pitch for that team or you walk.

So open mechanics are the New school', thats what your alluding to. Well bubba, you have been brainwashed then. In the early 1960's I saw a traveling softball team fron New Zealand, they were touring and playing exhibition games in California. My mom was a

s driver and volunteered to drive there bus to some games in the SF Bay area. THEIR PITCHERS THREW WITH OPEN MECHANICS.

I am sure they didnt invent that the week beforer they arrived. It has been around a lot longer than me, 75 maybe a hundred years or moire. And this is what you consider the 'New school' wat to pitch??

He said old school.....

Jun 14, 2010

Shucks Hal, I thought you invented the open mechanics style pitching, my bad. Where is the propaganda? I'm not the one pushing the snake oil in my signature.

I don't give a squirrel's behind if you claim to have been around the world 17 times and your mom drove the bus under the ocean so you could watch Sponge Bob pitch, the fact is closed mechanics tend to be an OLD school type of thought in this country. Does it still exist, yes sir. Should it exist... NO!

Now please sir, stop spreading your propaganda.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd's first pc a few years ago was "the man" or so I once thought and most people around here still think so. (Hello elbow, closed mechanics, slam the hip kind of instruction) The hs pc's dd has taken lessons from him for a few years and this has apparently qualified her dad to be a pc as well. Lol
Fortunately, my dd has a pretty good glove at first and third and has a very strong bat... so its looking like she will start varsity as a 1B and start jv as a P... but Im conflicted as to whether she should pitch or not because of this guy.... she wants to, but Im worried about his way messing up whats taken months to correct.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Out in Left Field, my point is that in my state no one can work with students at a HS unless they have passed a background check and been approved by the school board. Once they do that, they they can qualify as a coach. What state do you coach in? I'd be interested in reading on this. I served for a short time on my state's rules committee and so, would like to see what other states do. I thought it was the same since that is a federal law.

BTW, I have never taken a NFHS course since I am a teacher. In fact, I have given presentations to the coaches of every sports team in my county on coaching for those teacher/coaches to continue their CPUs in coaching. Many who frequent the website I moderate might recall me posting that and that I posted portions of that presentation.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Everyone here comes here with information from their own experiences. What happens at one school is not how it happens at all. For me to say that ADs at all schools act like the AD at my school is far off the mark. I have seen 3 ADs at our school and each of them were different from the other, plus throw in the fact that they are all human and you can find a personal factor that might change things, in other words one AD might think you are an rear and softball is not his top concern, while another might find you amusing and once had a dd who played softball... So you really can't make an absolute statement. ADs will never, or ADs will always...

What works in your school will not work in mine and vice versa.

Lucky for me our HC has only made 3 pitching comments to my dd, and I agree with all of them. throw fast, keep your hips open more consistently and to work on how she uses her glove hand (swimming)

Jan 25, 2011
Cannonball, In Pennslyvania, we have to do a act:34 (child abuse), state police background check and FBI fingerprints, also as coaches we have to take a test for concussions. What is funny but not, about this thread is the HC looks at me for the pitching advice and the 2 girls that pitch do the hello elbow and slam the hip, I don't like it, but they go to their own PC and I won't mess with them. My dd ( that isn't in HS yet), goes to Bill Hillhouse during the summer. I would love to change these girls, but it is HS ball and they are on TB teams, so I leave them alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes