High school coach playing favorites

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why should anyone learn how to deal with politics anyway? After all, there is *never* politics at work, church or within a family...:rolleyes:

The correct approach is to make the DD so much better than every other player on the team that the coach has to play her.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The correct approach is to make the DD so much better than every other player on the team that the coach has to play her.

Agree...Here is how you do it....

I see HS an TB equally political.

I agree...You can even see it in every group activity, even Church.

Leadership, Batting, Throwing, Competitiveness, Getting a good list for evaluation chart. I also was wondering what other positions she plays?

In rec I started out wanting a catcher, before DD's wanting to pitch at 9 started. I was very disappointed to end up with a Pitcher/SS. I liked what I read on here. "sometimes the only thing fair in this life is a ball hit between first and third". And just for a measly $350 I could be the team sponsor, and have it my way....I opted to have her build her own life, and me filming it....not directing it... DD Being overwhelmed with the pitching responsibilities, I don't invest my time or resources in batting yet (I do have her Batting coach picked out for when the time comes maybe 2 years)....I leave that up the her coach. She has always hit better than the rest...Just as I started out teaching her @ 5 to catch, and didn't worry about throwing...Built the catching foundation so thick, that it can hold the Empire State Building. Suffered thru the explanations of "she is throwing rainbows" but they always came back to the pitcher. The day after her last team party, she started with a throwing coach, all winter. Now at 9 she can catch anyone, and snap a throw back that makes coaches pay attention when they got their gloves on. Even her first college girl pitching coach, stayed focused on throw backs. Now in TB, I can negotiate the catching position a little, only because of the wild pitchers...DD loves to jump up and catch the ball. If she blocks one, the pitcher will get a standing throw back...with the movement on it that they were supposed to have thrown. And it helps them learn to keep the fast ball up for sure..She still can make any boys team also..pitching or catching. So we mastered catching throws from Dad, and could play first base on our org.'s 14u. Was professionally taught to throw better than any of her peers, and up to 12u B level. She LOVES catching pop ups. She knows she is the best pitcher, but she has the attitude of, who couldn't do that. She is under the oversite of 3 of the best PC's in the country thru video, and personal evaluation....Now here is how you play politics... I explain to her that the other players only get 55 seconds of fame per game, if they can hit. She gets an hour. She struggles with, "you think you are better " stuff...teasing from other non players. I tell her at the end of the season I'll get you some lessons if you want. She has every confidence that she could be getting ready to meet the best in the world batting coach. But, she don't want me getting into that too. She don't even remember how she got so good. Just like Lew Alcindor, didn't know why he was so tall...(by the way, she has an uncle 7' & it is this threat that has channeled was towards Fastpitch & Tennis) She really don't view it as a benefit. She knows as well as the coach, that most can't throw or catch, so she uses batting as the leveler. The last thing in the world that she wants to do is hit a HR. She is the biggest motivation for the "hitters" she is for them 100%... She prays they do good. We use her nonchalant attitude about hitting as leverage against politicians. Would you want to get elected as her batting coach? If so, here is where we are at: All we do is bunt, and right hand slap. She is very fast, and studies firing off starting blocks (Carl Lewis & Johnson) and has a V Tech Track & Pitching Conditioning Coach that she see's once a year. Here is my... our drill...she stands with the bat and glove up to the plate in an open stance. I throw it as fast as she will face or alittle faster. She catches it with glove. About 15. Then instead of catching it she knocks it down with backside of glove. About 15. Then she puts fielding glove down, and bunts about 25. Her batting glove is padded with old flip flops cut and super glued so she can grip the bat... then I throw the ball inside and she knocks it down with batting glove hand, about 15. Then we do random throws, inside , out side, curves, screws ect... anything inside she knocks down with her batting glove. Our goal is in two years when her hand is big enough to catch a 12' with the padded batting glove on, (they are as big as most adult women now @ 10) is to catch wild balls one handed and throw one of her overhand fastballs back to the pitcher not without warning, but only when they have hit one of her sister players. Then we'll be ready to start swing study....she will have grown up some and have the want to then.

As far as not telling others about your thoughts .... they are probably on here already. If you didn't really get my story, there are at least a couple that do get it on here...again and again....I write them a little something at least once a week. Just keep working hard...you win in the end.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My take on this. Take a step back and really look at all aspects of the game. What did your dd do great and what did she do poorly. How does that stack up against these other girls?

My dd was on the bubble for Varsity. The coach had a long talk with me at one of the non-mandatory indoor practices. He needed an outfielder. My dd is an excellent outfielder, he has seen her play and because its a small town school the coach does see most of the girls at practices and tryouts as youngsters. He knows my dd pitches (he has 2 junior pitchers who do a good job) so he told me if she makes Varsity, he uses live pitching at most of his practices and that would allow her to work on her pitching several times a week... Long story short, a freshman girl who doesn't play on our small town team showed up to tryouts and hit the crap out of the ball. According to my dd it was line drive after line drive to the fence. So my dd and a couple of other freshman who tried out were sent to JV. I have heard more complaints about this girl making the team (her mom is a nightmare which is why she has played for 6 teams in the past 5 years). Everyone hears (from her mom) about how great this girl can pitch, and at the first day of tryouts was out pitched by all the other girls, but obviously the kid can hit, not a great fielder but she can hit. My dd was unhappy to not make the cut, but she knows she will pitch a lot and she felt the process was fair.

If your kid thinks the process was fair, it probably was.

May 25, 2010
Agree...Here is how you do it....

I agree...You can even see it in every group activity, even Church.

Leadership, Batting, Throwing, Competitiveness, Getting a good list for evaluation chart. I also was wondering what other positions she plays?

In rec I started out wanting a catcher, before DD's wanting to pitch at 9 started. I was very disappointed to end up with a Pitcher/SS. I liked what I read on here. "sometimes the only thing fair in this life is a ball hit between first and third". And just for a measly $350 I could be the team sponsor, and have it my way....I opted to have her build her own life, and me filming it....not directing it... DD Being overwhelmed with the pitching responsibilities, I don't invest my time or resources in batting yet (I do have her Batting coach picked out for when the time comes maybe 2 years)....I leave that up the her coach. She has always hit better than the rest...Just as I started out teaching her @ 5 to catch, and didn't worry about throwing...Built the catching foundation so thick, that it can hold the Empire State Building. Suffered thru the explanations of "she is throwing rainbows" but they always came back to the pitcher. The day after her last team party, she started with a throwing coach, all winter. Now at 9 she can catch anyone, and snap a throw back that makes coaches pay attention when they got their gloves on. Even her first college girl pitching coach, stayed focused on throw backs. Now in TB, I can negotiate the catching position a little, only because of the wild pitchers...DD loves to jump up and catch the ball. If she blocks one, the pitcher will get a standing throw back...with the movement on it that they were supposed to have thrown. And it helps them learn to keep the fast ball up for sure..She still can make any boys team also..pitching or catching. So we mastered catching throws from Dad, and could play first base on our org.'s 14u. Was professionally taught to throw better than any of her peers, and up to 12u B level. She LOVES catching pop ups. She knows she is the best pitcher, but she has the attitude of, who couldn't do that. She is under the oversite of 3 of the best PC's in the country thru video, and personal evaluation....Now here is how you play politics... I explain to her that the other players only get 55 seconds of fame per game, if they can hit. She gets an hour. She struggles with, "you think you are better " stuff...teasing from other non players. I tell her at the end of the season I'll get you some lessons if you want. She has every confidence that she could be getting ready to meet the best in the world batting coach. But, she don't want me getting into that too. She don't even remember how she got so good. Just like Lew Alcindor, didn't know why he was so tall...(by the way, she has an uncle 7' & it is this threat that has channeled was towards Fastpitch & Tennis) She really don't view it as a benefit. She knows as well as the coach, that most can't throw or catch, so she uses batting as the leveler. The last thing in the world that she wants to do is hit a HR. She is the biggest motivation for the "hitters" she is for them 100%... She prays they do good. We use her nonchalant attitude about hitting as leverage against politicians. Would you want to get elected as her batting coach? If so, here is where we are at: All we do is bunt, and right hand slap. She is very fast, and studies firing off starting blocks (Carl Lewis & Johnson) and has a V Tech Track & Pitching Conditioning Coach that she see's once a year. Here is my... our drill...she stands with the bat and glove up to the plate in an open stance. I throw it as fast as she will face or alittle faster. She catches it with glove. About 15. Then instead of catching it she knocks it down with backside of glove. About 15. Then she puts fielding glove down, and bunts about 25. Her batting glove is padded with old flip flops cut and super glued so she can grip the bat... then I throw the ball inside and she knocks it down with batting glove hand, about 15. Then we do random throws, inside , out side, curves, screws ect... anything inside she knocks down with her batting glove. Our goal is in two years when her hand is big enough to catch a 12' with the padded batting glove on, (they are as big as most adult women now @ 10) is to catch wild balls one handed and throw one of her overhand fastballs back to the pitcher not without warning, but only when they have hit one of her sister players. Then we'll be ready to start swing study....she will have grown up some and have the want to then.

As far as not telling others about your thoughts .... they are probably on here already. If you didn't really get my story, there are at least a couple that do get it on here...again and again....I write them a little something at least once a week. Just keep working hard...you win in the end.

Despite your opposition to the use of paragraphs, you are a somewhat interesting poster, so I do read several of your thought streams.

The question I take from the above post: Why does a 10yo need 3 PCs?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The question I take from the above post: Why does a 10yo need 3 PCs?

SoftSocDad....thankz, sorry about the Paragraph-less style. I kinda parse it together form my notes. I try to copy and paste as much as I can, and sometimes get things alittle mutteled in the continuity end. Having been in the game, full fledged four 8 years now, I think my stories can offer some insights to those who start out in T-Ball through 10U... From the Yteams-rec to TB both baseball and Fastpitch. I'm learning alot here, and it triggers me to supplement with my personal experiences.

Why 3 PC's... the key word was "oversite"

My choice started out to just simply to get anyone from someplace else other than where I'm from. The best are easily reached through email, and offer video analysis...and anything they endorse, is as good as gold.

Then you have the two schools of: The Guys who was their DD's Pitching Coach & she reached your goals. The Guys who have surpassed your goals themselves. 80 mph rise... Now you get newsletters and DVDs....got to have these.

Then you have the safety issues... I'm talking about is this going to cause injuries when she gets older. I took the open technique, and the simplest style possible, so I have room to include finishing with glove up at shoulder height.

So I have one that I subscribe to his newsletters ect... and he is my source of encouragement, that I can be DD's PC. Easy available to correspond on pitching, and even will tell his stories of all the BS he went through to get his DD to the top. I make a 7hr.1 trip a year, just for the pleasure of DD getting to say he has seen her pitch. I get that one comment, that can change your life.

I got one who taught the mechanics and can prove he can throw anything he's teaching. He calls the Pitches she learns.

Then I have a women who is were we get our specialty equipment. DD loves to watch her teach in her clips, and I think she just loves to hear her southern draw. This is my back up plan, for when the hormones start kicking in @ 13, I hope to have her ready to counsel her, and build the mental toughness, that she has in many other college players. I want DD to be a coach, just like her. She is the mark we'll look for when DD picks a coach in college. She is loaded with college info.

Apr 21, 2010
I did take a step back. I thought of all the events that occurred. First week the coach loved her. 2nd week, the 2 varsity catchers tried to catch for her and she was told no. One of the girls that was picked over her, is on the same travel team as my daughter and is the number 3?? She is a big girl and when she hits the ball she clobbers it. My daughter is very thin framed and you would be surprised how how hard she throws and hits but looking from the inside out, maybe they see small?

I became more open minded and thought this is a blessing that girl probably wont pitch much and my daughter should get alot of pitching time. Then the V coach said that the jv pitchers and catchers will pitch in the next Varsity scrimmage game it was a exhibition game out of our league he gave JV players to but we knew she could handle it. Then he takes the varsity defense away and puts jv players in postions they dont even play? 1rst inning she pitched she she got the jv catcher which was fine then switched cathers on her(catchers call the game) I feel like it is a conspiracy for her not to do well because he wants the other freshmen pitcher he is friends with her family to look better than she is? My daugther is not conceeded but the 1rst day she came home from tryouts she had a lot of confidence said she felt like she looked the best. Girls from the JV team and the varsity team came up to her and said what a good pitcher she is. said she wouldnt have a problem making Varsity.

That is why I think she is so hurt by this, she could see it wasnt fair. He took the girl he knew and her friend.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Not being the #1 pitcher on varsity as a freshman isn't exactly a death sentence. My DD#1 (all conference D1 pitcher) was on the JV team as a freshman. She was the #2 pitcher on varsity her sophomore year. She didn't become "Queen of the Hill" until she was a junior.

Her experience in clawing her way up the ladder made her tough. She learned how to bury the competition on the team, no matter who was the coach's favorite. (I learned from her...and I helped my DD#3 do the same thing in basketball in HS and in college.)

That is what your DD has to do, and you have to teach her how to respond to failure. Either she kicks herself it her bottom and stops whining, or she should quit.

That is why I think she is so hurt by this, she could see it wasnt fair.
I feel like it is a conspiracy for her not to do well because he wants the other freshmen pitcher he is friends with her family to look better than she is?

Life isn't fair...she is way too old to be thinking anything else.

I'm going to be blunt: Your DD is a teenage girl. Make sure she isn't pushing your buttons to get a reaction from you.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I did take a step back. I thought of all the events that occurred. First week the coach loved her. 2nd week, the 2 varsity catchers tried to catch for her and she was told no. One of the girls that was picked over her, is on the same travel team as my daughter and is the number 3?? She is a big girl and when she hits the ball she clobbers it. My daughter is very thin framed and you would be surprised how how hard she throws and hits but looking from the inside out, maybe they see small?

I became more open minded and thought this is a blessing that girl probably wont pitch much and my daughter should get alot of pitching time. Then the V coach said that the jv pitchers and catchers will pitch in the next Varsity scrimmage game it was a exhibition game out of our league he gave JV players to but we knew she could handle it. Then he takes the varsity defense away and puts jv players in postions they dont even play? 1rst inning she pitched she she got the jv catcher which was fine then switched cathers on her(catchers call the game) I feel like it is a conspiracy for her not to do well because he wants the other freshmen pitcher he is friends with her family to look better than she is? My daugther is not conceeded but the 1rst day she came home from tryouts she had a lot of confidence said she felt like she looked the best. Girls from the JV team and the varsity team came up to her and said what a good pitcher she is. said she wouldnt have a problem making Varsity.

That is why I think she is so hurt by this, she could see it wasnt fair. He took the girl he knew and her friend.
Coaches don't have to make a girl look bad to justify a decision. It might feel like he was stacking the deck against her, but the truth is he probably already knew who he was keeping, and it was the girl who clobbers the ball. You might not agree or like the decision, but it would take a terrible person to try to make a girl look bad just to make his decision look better. In fact if you really think he did this, its better she not play for him.

Apr 21, 2010
I respect your bluntness and appreciate all the feedback. I just keep telling her the cream always rises to the top!!!

Thanks again everyone!!

Nov 1, 2009
TB coaches play favorites too. When I rent movies I play favorites. The point is everyone does it and at some point you or your kid will be the odd man out. I have always told my daughter that if she isn't clearly better than some other player she shouldn't be upset if the other kid gets the nod.

Like is not fair, nor should it be. If you daughter has desire and is willing to go the extra mile with no expectations in return she will end up where she wants to be. The last point I would make is to have your daughter learn to hit and play another position. If she can help the team she will find her way into the lineup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321