High School Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
As some others have said, don't get too caught up in batting averages and differences of less than 100 points given the small "sample size" (i.e., relatively few number of at bats). It also sounds like she is hitting the ball well, just at people and with the small sample size that can easily fluctuate an average up to 100 points.

With that being said, my DD struggled some both in high school and college ball when she wanted extra more to be successful and tried to carry the team too much. Even though the competition in high school generally wasn't as much as travel ball, I think she'd feel the pressure especially since 1/2 of the other players on her team weren't helping her offensively or defensively. In our area, aside from the emphasis on winning conferences and going far into the state tournament, local games are written up in the newspaper and there are players and teams of the week and such, and I don't think a lot of high school players are naturally ready to handle that. As she matured, I think she started to get that more and realized that she could only focus on what she could control at least on the mound. But hitting-wise, her senior years were the worst of the 4 for her in both high school and college.

Apr 8, 2010
As some others have said, don't get too caught up in batting averages and differences of less than 100 points given the small "sample size" (i.e., relatively few number of at bats). It also sounds like she is hitting the ball well, just at people and with the small sample size that can easily fluctuate an average up to 100 points.

With that being said, my DD struggled some both in high school and college ball when she wanted extra more to be successful and tried to carry the team too much. Even though the competition in high school generally wasn't as much as travel ball, I think she'd feel the pressure especially since 1/2 of the other players on her team weren't helping her offensively or defensively. In our area, aside from the emphasis on winning conferences and going far into the state tournament, local games are written up in the newspaper and there are players and teams of the week and such, and I don't think a lot of high school players are naturally ready to handle that. As she matured, I think she started to get that more and realized that she could only focus on what she could control at least on the mound. But hitting-wise, her senior years were the worst of the 4 for her in both high school and college.

Thanks for the input. I can see now I was looking at it in the wrong way. I have been trying to make her understand that these things happen and we keep moving forward ...

JWP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd