Help with swing, 15YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
Are you back to maintaining the hinge angle? You can move the barrel without losing the relationship between the handle and the forearm.

Absolutely, but that's usually not the result of what people teach, especially when they hear cues like "turn the barrel."

Of course, that's why I use the original term, "running start."

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Good morning sir.

I'm trying to be objective with what you're asking...but I'm not following you.

Tell me what you see regarding the full swings rdbass posted....again,,,differently...please.

Ok. i saw the HI podcast with Teacherman. He does something he calls the swivel.
Immediate torquing of the handle, barrel dump, behind the hips. every time.

In my mind, if you dump the barrel, this would lose adustability.

the opposite of barrel dump, would be to fight dropping the barrel, scrunching as you turn.

R

RayR

No offense - but the clip of your daughter is an example of dumping the barrel....turning the barrel does not dump it if you do it correctly....it takes 2 pivots - hands and rear hip to make it work.

Ok. i saw the HI podcast with Teacherman. He does something he calls the swivel.
Immediate torquing of the handle, barrel dump, behind the hips. every time.

In my mind, if you dump the barrel, this would lose adustability.

the opposite of barrel dump, would be to fight dropping the barrel, scrunching as you turn.

Jul 20, 2010
Pujolsforearm_zps1aad4537.gif

Pujols_Hands_close_XMO.gif

Pujols_Hands2.gif

Mann,
What you saw with someone else and their demo, I can't answer.

But I will answer your questions. If I can only ask one of you first to see if we're even looking at the same point in the swing.

When you say "only a pivot point out front" are you referring to when Albert hits the ball? When his right hand passes his left? Or somewhere else? Tell me where you see the pivot point sir.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
The turning of the barrel is what allows the wrists to maintain their angle.

Holding and turning will eliminate the hitter's ability to work the barrel BEHIND them. While (by holding and turning) they may be able to maintain a wrist angle the barrel path is less than optimal, requiring a hitter to swing / commit at less than optimal pitches and kick in the dreaded "shoulder powered" mechanic.

Turning the barrel behind is not done in a fashion that UN-hinges the wrist, on the contrary, instead,,, it enhances their ability to "serve up the pizza."

If one thinks about the swing in terms of symmetrical then you would be inclined to hold on, maintain hinge angle, turn, arms, shoulders, elbows as a unit. If, on the other hand, you view the swing as asymmetrical the hitter turns the barrel behind them and snaps / whips it into alignment. Out of plane to on plane, so to speak, therefore enhancing adjustability, power, timing,,,rather than relying on the pitcher to throw it into your bat.

I never once said the barrel does not turn. I just said it is a no teach for me to turn it.
I also just dont just hold on and just turn the body

MTS said the wrists release as soon as the barrel drops, I disagree.
I just said I have the hitters turn the corner while the barrel drops before they release the wrists to impact.

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL,

I went to the HC & CB clinic and one of the things they talked about that I didn't agree with was the whip hit demo. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they emphasize pulling it which created bat speed out front when i did it IMO that's the biggest difference in turning the barrel action which creates early bat speed. This was several years ago but I remember Brooke and I talking about it all the way home

Like I said I'm not knocking anyone's beliefs I'm just going off what I've felt, the visual and auditory differences in Brooke's swing. I've done it both ways and thee is a huge difference in whip and bat speed.

When I went to a Carrier/Bustos clinic the whip hit was not invented yet.
So I cant comment on how they demonstrated the hitting aid.

When my daughter use's the whip hit, her mechanics are the same as the Reverse hand drill. Its a lead arm drill/swing. Next time she comes back from college, I will video her using it.

I do know
They dont teach whip and bat speed out in front of the body

SL

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2010
Originally Posted by straighleg

He maintain's his wrist angle and does not release his wrists until after he stays connected and turns the corner Elbows, shoulders arms and hands turning together

Then I misinterpreted this. Specifically the shoulders TURNING and the 'stays connected' parts. My bad.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
thanks so much for the compliment! Is there a cue you give to help your batters have awareness of where their hands are? I think that she thinks that her hands are higher than they are. (strange- but true)
MandM, my DD used to have her hands low and had trouble with the rise ball. After her hitting lesson, she said she liked what her hitting coach said. She now has a sign on her bedroom wall that says "Prepare for the high, Adjust to the low." (or something like that:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd