Help with stepping out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
A couple things we really worked hard at were NOT getting the front foot down early…letting the swing plant the foot, and coiling forward.

RHC, I'm interested in this stuff about the front foot. My DD has been coached to make sure she gets the front foot down soon enough and told sometimes she's late getting the foot down even though her swing doesn't seem late. I'm not able to appreciate it when it happens. When in the sequence does the front foot need to be down? At go time?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Thanks Five. Save me looking for vids. But ya, I believe PC, in way I teach it, the swing it self is a weight shift. Weight shifting=the swing, not weight shift then swing. So the thought, or actually no thought, is the swing putting the foot down. It is a tough accomplishment, and I still quite often say things like "hover" "get the foot down late" "time it with your front leg (they know I mean front leg up with the pitch."
As the one vid posted about says "front leg down early creates an arm swing", when they get good at having a rear hip pivot point it is very obvious with they fall back to getting the front foot down too early. It looks so much slower, almost like a 2 piece swing.

Look at slappers. They all step out sort of, but the mechanics of slapping is basically swinging around a rear hip pivot point, so it doesn't matter.
2ngahr7.gif

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Just an example. Crankermo's dd, just the first gif I spotted in my library that fit what I was looking for. Can you get the feeling from this of "the swing putting the foot down"? And actually it looks like she lands a bit open.
crankermo2_zpscbaca209.gif

Jul 23, 2014
I believe the goal is to have it timed properly but DD is urged to err on the side of early, not late. The thought given is if you're early you can still make a swing, if you are late you have no chance. She has a lesson tonight and I'll try and watch for this or see if this even comes up.

Jan 24, 2009
However, since she doesn't step out during practice, it doesn't bother her. Again, most of the problem surfaces during game time, facing live pitching.

Ohio, given the above, there is a fair chance that this isn't a mechanical problem. Carefully and honestly consider if there is a fear of being HBP. Before dismissing the notion (most parents do without any real consideration), 'read' her very closely for a few at bats. Study her first move and the timing/mechanics of her step out in relation to the pitcher/pitch. Is she bailing out...assuming the ball is coming AT her until proven otherwise? Does she sometimes step out and the pitch ends up middle-out...perhaps with an 'afterthought' swing and poor contact you are seeing? DD's want to please and they mostly deny any fear of the ball if asked. Body language and mechanics--the 'live at bat' kind-- will be more telling. You might ask some other un-biased eyes to scrutinize her in the box before ruling out the fear factor. I'm not telling you she is scared, only that it should very much be considered before wasting your time chasing down a mechanical fix, especially since you note that she has otherwise great mechanics in non-live, 'fearless' situations. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors