Help with stepping out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks Butter.

Here is an earlier post that relates to the topic. Feel free to update the feel of stretch.

In some of my hitting sessions I’ll teach it this way ….. Baby Stretch, Extra Stretch, Turn the barrel against the Extra Stretch.

Step 1 …. Baby stretch.

As the COM is brought forward (preferably FbC)…. Either with a physical stride or without a stride, …. towards what is commonly referred to as the ‘launch position’, …… I’ll ask a hitter to focus on the ‘feel’ of a ‘baby stretch’. The ‘baby stretch’ is felt along the rear hip to rear shoulder. It will have the feel as if the muscles along the rearside have been somewhat elongated/stretched. This is the 'baby stretch'.

Step 2 …. Extra stretch.
From the ‘launch position’ the rear leg will in a sense turn inward. This creates the ‘Extra Stretch’ …. If you pause immediately after this, what 'was' the ‘baby stretch’ will become highly intensified. In a sense you have dynamically increased the 'stretch'.

Step3 …. Turn the barrel against the stretch.

As you turn the barrel against the ‘Extra Stretch’, the stretch will become even more intensified ... another dynamic building of the stretch. The barrel will in a sense be fired along its swing arc …. for some it is the feel of finding themselves able to get on balls that at first they couldn’t imagine getting to.

Baby Stretch .…. Extra Stretch ….. Turn the barrel against the Extra Stretch.

May 3, 2014
IMO - get this first stretch correct and you are well on your way to getting the sequence correct.

When you pick up the front leg to cock inward - you have a stretch across your back diagonally from your rear shoulder (lat) to your front glutes. This is one of the posterior oblique slings.

You will probably feel this more in your lower back (thoracolumbar fascia) - it depends on your body and flexibilty.

Thoracolumbar-Pain-Img-1.jpg

You may/will also feel it your pelvis as a squeezing on the anterior side. I use this a teach when I ask my hitters to try and get the front hip under the belly button or to try and keep the front hip lower than the rear hip (yes, I know it's physically impossible in the context of a swing)

You will also feel more pressure down your rear leg since your front foot is off the ground.

Thanks Butter.

Here is an earlier post that relates to the topic. Feel free to update the feel of stretch.

Jan 13, 2012
If you're feeling the stretch "along the rear hip to rear shoulder," then you're feeling it in the wrong place.

It's in the hip socket.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pstein, think about it a bit more.

I believe you've spoken of the 'side scrunch'. What is that 'scrunch'? It's simply a muscle contraction. Does it make sense to elongate it prior to contraction? Of course it does. That elongation is a 'stretch'.

You’ve seen the video where Tewks’ speaks of opening up the back hip … that’s what I call the ‘extra stretch’ with some of my hitters. When you turn the barrel against that ‘extra stretch’ the hand path is ‘easy’. Keep the top hand high (Tewks’ cue) and that ‘extra stretch’ will help dictate the hand path. Without the ‘stretch’ that simply wouldn’t be the case.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
This one?...

I learned this movement from Parker long ago, He called it "the walking step"

Same with the barrel leveling motion, with one major Key difference.

Parker would call for the bat to lay back towards catcher, Tewks lays it back over his shoulder.
Not tip and not rock the u

Yes, I can see the stack, or the RVP connection point.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I learned this movement from Parker long ago, He called it "the walking step"

Same with the barrel leveling motion, with one major Key difference.

Parker would call for the bat to lay back towards catcher, Tewks lays it back over his shoulder.
Not tip and not rock the u

Yes, I can see the stack, or the RVP connection point.

From memory, you are referring to this here.

I'm going to pass on that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors