Help with offensive signals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You need some help with offensive signs? Got one I used on occasion, for an idiot call, and man was it consistent. Always got to watch the rest of the day from the parking lot.

b9f564b45ae8aa871d0d426007cebc00_zpsae0a3855.jpg
[/IMG]

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I agree, Doug - by 14U/16U this should be automatic for all levels. I would expect to see this with 12U at the lowest TB levels and up.

This is one of the first things that should be taught at an age the players can take coaching and not sit there and play in the dirt. Another one that gets me is not tagging up on foul balls. I see a LOT of foul balls to the first base side that get caught behind the bag with a runner on 2nd and they just stand there. That is a long throw to make with the possibility of the ball getting by so you may even score. I also ingrain this into my defense that just because the ball is foul, doesn't mean it isn't live when caught.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
This is one of the first things that should be taught at an age the players can take coaching and not sit there and play in the dirt. Another one that gets me is not tagging up on foul balls. I see a LOT of foul balls to the first base side that get caught behind the bag with a runner on 2nd and they just stand there. That is a long throw to make with the possibility of the ball getting by so you may even score. I also ingrain this into my defense that just because the ball is foul, doesn't mean it isn't live when caught.

It is not a foul ball if it's caught.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
If it is not defined as fair territory is it not then foul territory? Fair territory is defined by the foul line hence everything outside of the foul line is foul. So foul territory has been defined.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Not really. The rule book defines fair territory, but fails to define what foul territory is, even though it mentions foul territory several times.

I don't know about you, but of all the age levels I have coached, none of them would get the significance of this.

Fortunately, some of them do understand the concept of tagging up on a "foul ball", but its still not all of them.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I don't know about you, but of all the age levels I have coached, none of them would get the significance of this.

Fortunately, some of them do understand the concept of tagging up on a "foul ball", but its still not all of them.

That's why I prefer to tell them that they can tag up on all caught fly balls. Get the idea of it being foul out of their head, because it's not. Whatever works, I guess is what counts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi