Help Please, all Feedback and guidance welcome.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I'll add my two-cents worth, my focus is on the arm. The battle cry of this forum is IR, the rotation of the forearm. The initial pivot point is the shoulder, as the arm rotates through the back (past nine o'clock) the upper arm will stabilize against the rib cage and rotate the forearm. Your DD arm never establishes a secondary (and much faster) pivot point around the elbow. I've built a clip focusing on that slight pause of the upper arm against the rib cage and mixed in a clip from your daughter for comparison. It's subtle but very important for whip."

That is a great teaching video - MD- thank you for sharing your DDs video- and WillyT thank YOU for building this.

MD you may also consider watching Rich Balswick videos that he has posted on arm whip

http://balswickfastpitch.com/videos/

Last edited:

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
I see exactly what are you are talking about. funny thing is that when she is doing Bill Hillhouse drills, up together down together, or K drill, she nails it. When she goes full arm circle she gets tense, misses getting brush interference, doesnt rotate as you described and many times ends up with her hand under the ball releasing with what i describe as a curve ball spin.
I am all she has for a PC, so we smile and try it again and again, she is getting close, but i see the frustration on her face because she is trying so hard. the harder she tries the more the tension builds and the more muscle she uses to throw the ball.

Negating many of the attributes associated with IR.

Thank you for the feedback and I will post more after this weekend. Her team coach wants her to pitch this weekend.

If there is anything else you can think of would love to here from you.

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
Here is recent video
<iframe width="640" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BdN-mA10v2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
My dd used to do the same thing. PC would tell her to relax, I would tell her she looked tense, coach would tell her she was muscling the ball. She finally relaxed, but she relaxed too much now she's nice and relaxed most of the time but she doesn't push as hard, she slows her arm down, it's got to be relaxed while still giving 100% effort, that's hard to do!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Hide that grip (and ball) in the glove a bit better.

She's coming along very nicely! Really catching the whip. AND, love that she drives out square to the catcher, then pops open as she kicks out/forward.

Jun 18, 2010
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-24%20at%2012.15.24%20PM_zps9yl7jyyg.png

IMO, she is missing the first opportunity for overlap.

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
My dd used to do the same thing. PC would tell her to relax, I would tell her she looked tense, coach would tell her she was muscling the ball. She finally relaxed, but she relaxed too much now she's nice and relaxed most of the time but she doesn't push as hard, she slows her arm down, it's got to be relaxed while still giving 100% effort, that's hard to do!

Thank you so much. She is a hard worker, and wants to be the best. I am just there to help her achieve it and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

To see her struggle as she does breaks my heart knowing that there is nothing i can do, but sit there and let her keep trying and encouraging her that it will happen, maybe not today, but it will get there one day.

Thank you once again

Last edited:

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
That's a good 2.5 months of work Merrill. She looks a lot cleaner and smoother. This girl is going to develop just fine, and you seem to have a good take on this stuff. Keep on keeping on.

With a drive to excel like hers, well there ain't no stopping her. Heart of a lion.

Thank you very much

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00