HELP! I've never played or coached Fastpitch!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2011
Hi,

Well, I've been roped into coaching 8U Fastpitch softball. I played slow pitch YEARS ago..but that's it. My daughter played t-ball last year and has now moved up to 8U. There were NO pitchers in the draft for this league, so all of the teams are starting from scratch.

In an 8U, how do you teach fastpitch? Is everything the "whiporwhill"? Or can/do they pitch underhand to start with? I don't even know where to begin...and everything I'm reading seems to be for older kids.

Any recommendations for drills as a whole? I've found a few just by reviewing this site, but I'm worried because I have an 8U team with players that have never even played before.

And...to top it off....I work full-time during the day and am also in Master's classes 2 nights per week...so I don't have a whole lot of time to study up on what I should be doing.

I probably should have declined coaching, but my daughter begged me. I'm now having cold feet!

Anyone have any advice???

Thanks!

Nancy

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Nancy, Where are you? We can suggest some pitching coaches in your area.

What is a "whiporwhill?" Do you mean windmill? Ha. You really need help.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2011
LMAO! Yes, I really need help!!! I meant the windmill....ugh. I'm in Southern California...Inland Empire. In the Temecula/Murrieta area, which is inland in between LA and San Diego.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, that is both good and bad. #1, you are in the middle of softball heaven. #2, you can probably find people to help you. #3, you could hire a professional and #4 - parents may know some things about softball.

There are many good DVDs on the market. But, you need very beginner stuff - on catch and throw, hit and run. Can you catch and throw?

Jun 7, 2010
8U is a great time. The girls you will be coaching want to learn how to catch, throw and hit. They will be looking to you for that knowledge. How beautiful is that. You get to shape a young life. Rely on your basic knowledge of fundementals. Constantly praise every little thing they do correctly and don't dwell on any negative events. Show the girls you have confidence in them and everything they do and they will respond. I tried to concentrate on every girl the same. The little girl that could not catch but she wanted to pitch. I stayed after practice for her as long as she wanted to learn. I had 3 that wanted to pitch and I stayed late for everyone of those great kids. Everyone of those girls got a chance to pitch in games that season. Not only we're they excited to be in the circle, the parents and grandparents had cameras going off on every pitch.
Of course you can see that there may be a girl or two that are better players but in my situation they did not display the desire to put in the extra time. I would have gladly stayed to work with them as well but the parents showed up and rushed them off to whatever else they considered more important.
I had another coach in our rec league tell me that "I was crazy", but I didn't see it that way.

I see those girls at the field or at the grocery store and it warms my heart when they see me from across the room they still call out, "Coach Mike".

That really makes it all worthwhile.

Feb 6, 2011
The good news is that I can hit, catch and throw :) I played softball through high school, but it was slow pitch...so fastpitch is what is scaring the "you know whats" out of me. I don't even know where to begin! I'm on a VERY limited budget (I'm in masters classes and student teaching during the day....so my incoming funds are basically, well, nothing), so hiring a pitching coach is out of the question, unfortunately.

I get the basics of hitting....steady head, no real step, elbows even. The basics of catching...practice, watch the ball, use both hands. Basics of throwing....step with opposite leg up and over (probably need to work on that one as far as teaching/coaching)

But the pitching....the pitching....uggh! I'm sccaaarrreeed! I don't even know where to begin!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
99% of the time, the parents of the pitchers hire a private coach for them. Since it is Super Bowl Sunday, no one from your area has come on yet, but they will.

What are the pitching rules for your league? Is it a 10 inch or 11 inch ball? Do they pitch from 30 or 35 feet? Do they pitch a certain number of balls and then, the coach pitches to the batter? If there are no pitchers in the league, maybe the league could hire a pitching coach.

Jun 7, 2010
My DD was a pitcher getting lessons from a girl from a local high school which helped me greatly. If you have access to or know any girl that plays high school ball or any girl that knows the basics, ask her if she would like to help out. I bet she would be more than happy to assist.
My wallet was not affected much at all so please don't think about that aspect of it. Watch others when they're working with their pitching coach and try to remember a couple things that could help you. Leg drive, arm slot, follow through. You will surprise yourself by how much you know.

Feb 6, 2011
We pitch from 30 feet. The pitcher gets 4 pitches and then the coach pitches. It's 10 inch softie ball.

How do I start with fastpitch instruction? If I have my group of girls show up at practice, where do I begin? Any advice on how to instruct them? I always played underhanded pitching, so I'm not familiar with the mechanics and what to look for/instruct. I'm sure I can tell the parents if they would like their child to be a successful pitcher, they should hire a pitching coach...but if I have no takers...I feel like the responsibility is on me. I'd like to be able to give some instruction that won't mess them up in the future (and allow them to get a few strikes)

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Nanseev,

Read the thread "First-time coach- What have I done?" All this info will aply to you as well.

Other things to consider are...
-8U is usually the first age that the girls start pitching so none or very few will know much about it.
-There are usually specific rules to help these new pitchers learn. For example our local rec league gives the pitcher 7 pitches, they can strike out batters' but there are no walks. If all seven pitches are balls, the coach of the hitting team comes out and gets to throw 3 pitches. If they dont hit any of those it is a strike out. Talk to a board member for all the rules. Get to know your board members. They will be big help.
-Find out if any older girls in the league might be willing to come help get you started with girls who might want to pitch. Maybe your whole team wants to pitch. The ones that show interest need to start lessons.
-Get a tee and have them hit off of it. Also pitch to them as they willhave to hit live pitching in games and you may have to pitch to them in games.
-Have them field lots of ground balls and throw to first.

Most of all, do what you can to make it fun! Kids enjoy any kind of drill if you make a game out of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd