HELP!!!! 10U Infield positioning and Batting Lineup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 23, 2015
Texas
What is your strategy on infield positioning at this level and also batting lineup? I have been going nuts trying to figure out the best way to do it. My 2 best infielders are my pitcher and my daughter, who prefers left field. Both are lefties. They both know how to play every position, even if it isn't their best. They are also my 2 most experienced/consistent hitters. The pitcher being the best of the 2. I have a lot of players with little experience and 2 with none, but most have serious potential.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would set the batting order on what time they get to the game. Have the lineup card out there and the player can write their name anywhere there is an open slot.

IF, I cannot help you. I hate lefty SS, one beat us last year. She should not have been able to do that. :)

I learned the hard way that at this age the IF starts with 1st and goes from there.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If your lefty can play the position better then any other RH player, then her handedness should not be a question. Play the best SS at SS regardless.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You have talked about 2 players. How about the rest? Even with less experience players, there are strengths an weaknesses with each one.

Oct 10, 2013
If I have a stud pitcher at 10u, the right side of my infield will be my best fielders. You will have strikeouts or grounders to the right side. I would really work on my 3rd best to play 3rd to charge for bunts.

Feb 23, 2015
Texas
I have a rather tall lefty playing 1st, but she is VERY inconsistent. My daughter would probably be more consistent, but she is at least 3-4 inches shorter than most of the team and a hard target for some of my taller girls. lol Do I work with my taller girl @ 1st and put my daughter @ SS? I have another small infielder that is good at either SS or 2nd. Her glove just isn't very consistent on the throw downs. I have a girl that has played SS, but I'm considering moving her to 3rd, which is where I am presently playing my daughter.

UGH!!!! I'M CONFUSED!

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
In LL many, many years ago, I was drafted year after year by this one coach whose daughter played 1B. I was told years later that it was done purposely so that she could be voted as the all-star 1B. I was a lefty and played primarily SS/3B. I did well enough to be voted to the all-star team.

The summer before HS, I started playing travel ball since back then the club teams started at 16U. I tried out for SS and was selected for the team but was immediately converted to 1B. I was a 5'9" at 14 and left handed so it made sense. Fast forward to the spring HS softball season, I played for the freshman team but was brought up to varsity as the starting 1B for our county and state tournaments. I started varsity 1B for the rest of my years in HS.

Getting back to my LL story, the coach's DD Only ever learned to play 1B and was a year ahead of me in school. She was cut from the JV softball team in her junior year. To this day, 20+ years later, she still holds a grudge towards me for surpassing her as the HS 1B. Oh well, guess this a good story for the revenge thread.

My point is, at this age, I wouldn't limit players based on handedness. If your strongest, most accurate arm is a lefty, I give her a shot at the left side of the IF.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IMO 1st needs to be figured out.

Ironically small DD and another small player played 1st at this age after the taller players did not do so well. It just sucks the life out of the Team when a player makes a good play and 1st does not do her job.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The idea is to have as few holes as possible. That may mean putting strong fielders in positions where they can cover for the weaker fielders.

For example, a good SS can cover almost half the infield, and make up for weak 2B and 3B. A good 1B can make up for a weak 2B as well. (OTOH, if there are a lot of hits to the right side, you need a good 2B).

As for the outfield, at 10U you usually have 4 outfielders, but the best OF will usually cover about half the outfield.

Feb 23, 2015
Texas
I really want to give the taller girl a shot @ 1st, because no one has ever given her a chance in the past. I'm just afraid it is going to cost outs and runs. I want to do what is best for the team, not just one player. So, I guess my daughter goes to 1st.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd