HeavySwing Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2012
Thought the idea looked neat so I made my own. Took one of my daughters old bats and drilled a hole in the butt. Epoxied in a 1/2" threaded rod and added washers till I got the balance I wanted (have not weighed it yet).

Batted with it for a while to make sure nothing came loose and used for a practice. Have not worked with it enough to really get a good sense of what it will accomplish but my first reaction, swinging it myself, is that if you have a good strength program already in place this isn't really needed. Make the bat too heavy and it really slows the swing down even if it's balanced and you also risk an injury but if it's too light it won't offer enough resistance to strengthen anything.

As long as it doesn't cause any problems like joint soreness, than I will keep using and see what happens. My daughters problem has always been bat speed against live pitching, not machine or soft toss, so this won't improve that but it's a way of breaking up a workout to keep things interesting.