Hats off to bucket moms!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
I always ask if someone can catch for the girl. But, I just always seem to have the single parent families. I don't mind the catching and am quite used to it. And if parents want to pay me $25.00 to do it, ok.

Man But is it not really really hard to teach someone when you are also catching them, I see it as almost impossible. You just do not have good vision on what is really going on ...

When my oldest dd first began pitching about a year ago I had my brother catch her the first 2 times, not because I couldn't but wanted to take the view from afar to see how she behaved with the new instruction and environment. It costs too much if she didn't take it serious. Week #3 we arrived for the lesson and I could not believe the flutter and what not to get her a catcher. I was offered a mask a mitt and was asked probably more than 10 times if I was sure I was ok. I just laughed it off warmed my kid up and went about my business. Next lesson pc apologized for his assumptions a few times, I still tease him about it today. Since then I've offered my services up for 4 other girls, when the catcher they brought was clearly uncomfortable and looking for an out (3 moms/1 dad). I love it- and actually hope I'm asked to fill in.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I prefer to see the pitch from there. I mean, I really don't have a choice. Every 8 yo, 9 yo and 10 yo is similar.

Now, a HS girl, yes. I cannot catch and coach, at the same time. But, that is an entirely different thing.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
DD played in a tourney a couple years back. We were getting ready to go on break when we heard a bunch of people screaming for ice. A bucket Mom was warming her daughter up and took a shot to the eye. She had a gash right above her eye brow and was bleeding pretty good. Later that night I saw her in the bullpen again, stitched up and catching her daughter again. I offered to catch her daughter for her and she politely declined. All I can say is ,I have mad respect for the bucket Moms.

Oct 22, 2009
I love these moms. I have one that is totally petrified but there she is, shin guards and face mask and her kid doesn't even throw 40mph.

I had one a few weeks ago that kept lunging forward off the bucket to catch the ball. I told her to allow for the ball to get to her and she explained she couldn't do that, she had to get to the ball first!
So for one pitch she sat and waited and BAM, pitch went right off her glove into her chin. I told her to get a mask. She has a mask now but still lunges at the pitches.

And not just mom's, dad's too!

I had a dad once that was a cop, big tough dude, but bless his heart it was obvious he never had a dad take him out to the yard to play catch. He had no concept of how to catch a ball, he just swatted them all away with more fear in his eyes than he probably ever had at work!

I also have a paraplegic dad in a wheelchair. He's been catching since his daughter was 8. She's a freshman now and throws 61mph. She's already destroyed one wheelchair and broken a couple of toes (He refuses to wear shoes or shin guards).

I have a lot of parent hero's! :D

May 7, 2008
Tucson
"(He refuses to wear shoes or shin guards)." That can't be good for him, because I don't think he would know if he was hurt.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I also have a paraplegic dad in a wheelchair. He's been catching since his daughter was 8. She's a freshman now and throws 61mph. She's already destroyed one wheelchair and broken a couple of toes (He refuses to wear shoes or shin guards).

Wow - I am totally humbled by that. Hats off to him!

Oct 22, 2009
"(He refuses to wear shoes or shin guards)." That can't be good for him, because I don't think he would know if he was hurt.

I'm sure his doctor has begged him to wear shoes and guards as much as I have, but he is at the top of stubborn list.

May 27, 2013
Thanks for this thread. I love being a bucket mom for my dd. Sure, I've had my share of bumps and bruises, but there is nothing quite like the bond you develop with your dd when you are right there to share in her frustration when she can't get a pitch to work, or the excitement you share when she has an awesome lesson/workout. I wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

Nov 29, 2009
I have to admit that at this point I should be wearing some gear, at least a mask, when I catch my DD, but so far my male pride has prevented me from doing it. At some point it will probably cost me a trip to the dentist or the ER.

Nah... Ya just have to smart about it. The trick is you DON'T have to catch every pitch. If it's really bad block it or deflect it away from you. The other trick is to learn angles. Sometimes all it takes is a lean back, let the ball roll up the front of your body or a quick twist and you don't take the brunt of the hit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26