Has your catcher ever?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
What boarderline embarrassing things have your catchers done?

My then eight year old was playing 10u and was the starting catcher. She has always been a tiny little thing, which Blue has told me makes their job much more challenging as they have to be down in a lower position.

She gears up, runs to homeplate, turns and looks at the ump, then shakes his hand and tells him she will be protecting him this game.

Three innings in and you can see she is getting frustrated. Everytime she has to pop up for a ball or turn to get a wild pitch, she is either knocking heads with Blue or turning and running into him. (He is a wonderful ump and person but compared to my then 3'9" and 42lb catcher, he is a bigger man).

She squats down and gets ready for a pitch, it goes high so up she pops to grab it and again, she bumps heads with him. She gets the ball from the backstop, tosses it to her pitcher, looks at the ump and asks for time. She takes off her helmet, cocks her hip, and turns on him.

Then she proceeds to ask him if he can please back up and not crowd her as he was making it hard for her to do her job behind the plate. He stood there staring at her for a few seconds, smiled at her, backed up, and the game started back up. After the game was over, he came over and told me I owed him a cold drink. I gave him a bottle of water and a pepsi and he sat down next to me.

He proceeded to tell me that never in his life had he been so polietly asked to move his fat rear back from a catcher. I tripped over my tongue apoligizing to him and he waved it off, said she gave him a good chuckle, then explained that because she is so tiny, he has to get down and close to her to see the strike zone correctly.

To this day (shes 10 now) anytime he umps her games, he winks at her and asks her if hes far enough out of the princesses way when she gets behind the plate.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Props to your little DD for standing up for herself.

A tiny catcher makes it harder for an ump to find protection from passed balls, not see the strike zone. A tiny catcher makes the strike zone easier to see.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
I have a small catcher who is very flexible and can get her body really low behind the plate. Funniest thing I saw was when a pitcher threw one high and she stood up to get it can caught the umpire right in the chin part of his mask with her helmet. She apologized, but the PU it wasn't her fault and the he was too close. He moved back a half step after that. Next season he was behind the plate and about the third pitch he realize who she was and I saw him physical step back on a slightly high pitch. After which he commented to her that her remembered what happen the last time.

Jun 22, 2008
Down lower and closer to see the strike zone better? You set your eyes at the top of the strike zone for each batter, a smaller catcher would only give you a better view. You have an umpire that is hiding behind the catcher.

I know umps that prefer big catchers, but in my personal experience I have generally been hit more with larger catchers than I have with smaller ones. Smaller catchers just seem to be quicker in their reactions to bad pitches and get in front of them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors