Hand Position at Backswing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
I've noticed that some pitchers (I'm talking young girls) bring the ball back on the backswing with their hand behind and over the ball, like a bowling backswing. My daughter brings the ball back with her hand in front of and under the ball (knuckles down). Does it even matter which way the ball is brought back on the backswing?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
(Going to get in trouble here.)

Both backswings you describe require the P to manipulate their Arm and hand. Have the P stand with their Arms at their sides, this is how the ball should be brought back. More knuckles down than anything else.

Aug 19, 2011
It's good to clarify; I've always thought that the clock face was as seen by the pitcher facing her arm circle. Thus, a right handed pitcher would be pointing her arm toward 2nd base at 3 o'clock.

In any case, where should the hand be when pointing at the catcher?

Sep 3, 2009
(Going to get in trouble here.)

Both backswings you describe require the P to manipulate their Arm and hand. Have the P stand with their Arms at their sides, this is how the ball should be brought back. More knuckles down than anything else.

Actually I would say that is the second way I described which is the way that my daughter does her backswing. I can't imagine it has much bearing if any on final results. Was just curious if this is something that is taught or if it even matters at all. Either way that hand needs to be facing towards the catcher at 12:00.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is one of the things that might need to be untaught, if that make sense. If the player was left alone they would do it like your DD, which I think is the correct way.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2008
Trying to get rid of the backswing my oldest has devoloped, IMO it adds nothing and is a big waste of motion...

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I also sometimes see that when a pitcher backswings either too high and/or sometimes gets off too the right or left, it will throw the entire arm circle off. Then the try to over compensate.

Jul 14, 2008
Do what it takes to "pull" the ball up the circle........Never "push" the ball up the circle.........

IOW.......She's good..........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors