Hand Action at Contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Is the deviation of the bottom wrist an action or a result? It seems that pulling on the handle by the bottom hand - perpendicular to the centerline of the bat - assists in release, and wrist deviation is a result. Of course, I could be wrong.

Eric, I described this above as a release process.

That said, good hitters will want to have educated wrists. For some ... many actually ... that requires learning an action that currently may not be normal for them.

Listen to what Martin Chuck says below ... the need to have educated hands ... to the point where it goes from conscious to unconscious.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
5k1501.gif

Do you see a correlation between this ^^ and this?...

Also...Great clips of Harper and McCutch!

I’m talking about the action of the wrists through contact ….. note the title of the thread … “Hand Action at Contact”.

BM is talking about the pulling action prior to contact … not at contact.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I’m talking about the action of the wrists through contact ….. note the title of the thread … “Hand Action at Contact”.

BM is talking about the pulling action prior to contact … not at contact.

I'm not challenging you or trying to set a trap (I'm not that smart), and this is an old thread I have not been through. I'm just curious. I think the action of the wrists through contact is a result of upstream actions. In some cases, I think teaching wrist action through contact can be useful, but many times is a no-teach.

Back to my questions...Do you think wrist deviation is an action or a result? Is BM's video on target or off base?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Eric, I didn't view your question as a challenge ... or as a trap ... and I thought I answered you. Sure they are correlated, in terms that one leads the action of the other ... but they are not the same, or even at the same point in the swing. I believe earlier in the thread I wrote of the bottom-hand pulling action.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think we are on the same page. The pulling perpendicular to the centerline of the bat - "handle ripping, I think it's been called - happens before wrist deviation, but deviation is a downstream result BECAUSE of the upstream action. Yes?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think we are on the same page. The pulling perpendicular to the centerline of the bat - "handle ripping, I think it's been called - happens before wrist deviation, but deviation is a downstream result BECAUSE of the upstream action. Yes?

Yes, it is a 'result' for those with 'educated wrists'.

Can't keep count of all the swings I've seen with uneducated wrists. It's possible to "handle rip" ... or basically apply pressure to "first" get the barrel moving into its arc toward the ball ... and still have uneducated hands through impact. I see it frequently enough.

Note how Howe used the term "launch" in his swing model to refer to "release" ..... the "release" process is important ... and for some of us the most enjoyable portion of the swing. If you are going to 'become' extended with 'direction' ... and 'direction' is important ... then you'll want to have 'educated wrists'.

Jul 23, 2014
The more I think about this the more I lean toward this being a non teach thing. I need to get to a bat and try it out but it seems to me that this is more of something that happens naturally. I think the key to getting this wrist action might be just keeping tension out of the forearms. Not unlike a golf swing, the more tension in your forearms the less club head rotation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321