Hand Action at Contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
LOL ... this will be fun GM.

Let's ignore the belly and focus on the content.

See if we might extract a few things from that video.

Not asking anyone to buy into anything just yet.

Consider the possibility of the lead hand/wrist being active at the start of the swing, and not at contact.

Consider the possibility of the lead arm/hand supernating through and beyond contact.

Keep these possibilities open for a bit as you perform your swings today.

Sounds like I've found a cure for my slice. That little dimpled ball will mock me no more.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Sounds like I've found a cure for my slice. That little dimpled ball will mock me no more.

I cured my slice, too.

It started by snapping the shaft of my 3-wood in frustration after a 3rd very bad miss-hit from the fairway of a crappy course, then realizing that golf and I were no longer compatible, and completed by selling all my sticks to a friend. Bam! No more slice issues.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I cured my slice, too.

It started by snapping the shaft of my 3-wood in frustration after a 3rd very bad miss-hit from the fairway of a crappy course, then realizing that golf and I were no longer compatible, and completed by selling all my sticks to a friend. Bam! No more slice issues.

Now that got me to laugh out loud ... literally!!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Since we’re talking of the lead hand/wrist, let’s also consider the possibility of a flattish bottom hand/wrist at contact. Flattish in terms of the bottom ‘hand’ + ‘wrist’ + ‘forearm’ all sort of lined up. Consider this for low, high, inside and outside pitches.

Consider the possibility of the lead-hand NOT hammering through contact.

Instead, consider the possibility of the lead hand ‘becoming’ cocked by the barrel at ‘launch’ and of the hammering action being more at the top and early portion of the swing. Almost as if the bottom-hand had a function of finding the ball from the very start of the swing.

As we consider the bottom hand NOT hammering through contact, also consider the possibility of the bottom-hand ‘releasing’ through contact … of NOT pulling through contact … of NOT forcing the swing into an “around our body swing”, but of “releasing” with “direction”. Play with the notion of having the bottom-hand ‘back-hand’ the barrel at contact … and even consider re-orienting the thought to having the bottom hand punching knuckles (portion of the fingers where a ring would be worn) back-hand the barrel at contact.

Release with direction through contact. Get to contact, with an attitude of the bottom-hand finding the ball, with the bottom-hand sort of back-handing the barrel at contact & releasing with direction.

Consider the possibility of the bottom-hand having a role to find the ball towards the start of the swing, and to have a role of placing the knob & barrel where it needs to be at contact … NOT so much “powering through” contact, but allowing a lever to exist “at contact”.

I know I’m placing a focus on the bottom-hand at this point … … … but if we don’t get the bottom-hand correct then we risk not letting the top-hand do it’s job.

Play with it a bit during your swings. Feel the actions. Feel the release. For now, trust that the top hand will do it’s job … and we’ll get to that soon enough.

Go through a round of hitting oppo. At BP go through a cage round where the ball is pitched to you on the outside of the plate. Take note of how well you can cover the outside pitch with an improved bottom-hand release.

If you want to have even more fun, give yourself of round of being pitched inside … and remember the importance of the bottom hand working at the start of the swing.

There is more to cover … but let’s start with this.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When do you see 'palm up,palm down' at contact or extension?
Cabrera_highside_slo-1.gif

Lots of duplicate frames in that GIF Rdb.

2m8nl.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Before we get into the top hand, let’s get an early feel near the launch of the swing.

Not everyone will feel this … especially as it’s being described over the Internet without one-on-one instruction. Try to focus on the feel in your hands at the onset of barrel transition. If you wear batting gloves, for now put aside the top-hand glove.

As the bottom hand starts the swing, it will move the barrel against the pad area of the top hand below the index finger. For some this is considered an important pressure sensor. Once you feel that pressure of the barrel against that portion of the top hand, you never want to lose it for the remainder of the swing. You want that feel of pressure “through” contact. The body will work to accelerate the barrel and maintain/increase that feel. The top hand is very much a sensor … it knows the difference between simple ‘velocity’ and ‘acceleration’. Once that pressure is gone, it’s gone … … once the barrel is thrown, it is has been thrown and is no longer under your control.

Play with it a bit. Feel the pressure in your hands as you capture transition of the barrel. See if you can capture the feel described above. If you can’t, don’t sweat it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez