Grounders vs ball in the air

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Yes, that does stand to reason. In fact, my DD has been working to move toward getting a little steeper/more diagonal at impact. In practice, she gets it and can launch those low ones. She has a teammate who does that very well (might call it a ferris-wheel swing) and hits bombs off low pitches off some really good pitchers.

My guess is that if you're facing hitters who've mastered that sort of swing, staying low might not be so wise. Most hitters I see in travel ball don't get that concept and swing more 'level' and have trouble digging out low balls, especially if those that have good downward movement.

For pitch calling we use the saying "when in doubt, down and out"....it works well for most batters, and if a batter proves she hit "down and out" we make an adjustment the next time through the batting order.

Jul 21, 2015
Many believe that keeping the ball low in the zone keeps the ball in the park. Thing is ... I've seen plenty of HRs off of pitches low in the zone.

Are these commentators correct when they preach keeping the ball low in the zone? Is it a function of the batter? Let's say a hitter has grooved a good barrel path that will result in a steeper, more diagonal barrel, at impact, for a ball lower in the zone. Wouldn't this increase the probability of getting the ball in the air?

Sure, but I bet you've seen a LOT more Hrs that were belt high. Obviously, keeping the ball down won't ELIMINATE all HRs, but it will most likely reduce them if located correctly (ie down and away as opposed to down and in). There are plenty of examples of players (especially lefties,Ken Griffey Jr comes to mind) that crushed pitches down and in. you won't see many players who have heat maps with the low and away portion of the strike zone being bright red.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sure, but I bet you've seen a LOT more Hrs that were belt high. Obviously, keeping the ball down won't ELIMINATE all HRs, but it will most likely reduce them if located correctly (ie down and away as opposed to down and in). There are plenty of examples of players (especially lefties,Ken Griffey Jr comes to mind) that crushed pitches down and in. you won't see many players who have heat maps with the low and away portion of the strike zone being bright red.

Same question ... does a pitch low in the zone induce more of a diagonal barrel for someone with a good swing? If so, does a barrel that is more diagonal induce getting the ball in the 'air' or in the 'ground'?

Low-and-away is not a magic bullet. With a runner on 2B, with a RH batter, I want opposing pitchers pitching to the outer half of the plate.

Also, I wouldn't rule-out the importance of pitching inside. Screw-balls can be truly effective and represent a challenge for many hitters.

Jul 21, 2015
Go to 17:56 and tell me what you like about his 3rd swing, which is supposedly his best. His objective was to hit the ball, period. He never had the Griffey Jr effortless perfect swing, he was excellent at adjusting to make contact. But if I'm gonna make a video to show off mechanics I'm gonna pick the absolute best swing on film to use. And I'm sure many would point out his lack of extension.

His second swing was the best, contrary to what the commentator believes. He didn't look "slightly off balance" at all. There is plenty to like there. The first and third look like a guy trying to exaggerate his movements for the sake of the video being produced. I also don't believe he has a "lack of extension" issue.

Jul 21, 2015
Same question ... does a pitch low in the zone induce more of a diagonal barrel for someone with a good swing? If so, does a barrel that is more diagonal induce getting the ball in the 'air' or in the 'ground'?

Low-and-away is not a magic bullet. With a runner on 2B, with a RH batter, I want opposing pitchers pitching to the outer half of the plate.

Also, I wouldn't rule-out the importance of pitching inside. Screw-balls can be truly effective and represent a challenge for many hitters.

Well, I would argue that there is no such thing as a magic bullet in softball/baseball, period. Give me 9 hitters and all of them will most likely have different strengths and weaknesses. Some crush fastballs, some crush off-speed, some are excellent low-ball hitters, some like the ball inside, some (most) like the ball out over the plate. The pitchers "magic bullet" if you will, is finding the weaknesses and executing pitches. I understand what you are saying about not minding having opposing pitchers pitch to the outside half with a runner on 2nd. But, I bet you wouldn't find many hitters (especially power hitters) who would say they'd rather have a pitch on the outside corner than a pitch middle-in. The best hitters in the game are looking to do maximum damage every at bat and that means driving the ball for extra bases.

As to your question, yes, a pitch down and in will produce a steeper barrel path so in theory will be easier to hit in the air. A pitch down and away, not so much.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
Not sure how much thinking you are expecting in the batter's box. Most of the "thinking" is done between pitches. Good hitters rely on short-term muscle memory and keep their game swing relatively clear of thoughts on mechanics

Thinking is thinking, never said it was over mechanics. What I said is that great mechanics does not make a great hitter and the reason may be overthinking. You can overthink many things. Since hitting is to bat against a pitcher successfully mechanics is only part of the equation. Second guessing what pitch is being thrown, is it offspeed, is it coming in or out,.... All these require thinking and decision making until the swing is made.

Dec 20, 2012
His second swing was the best, contrary to what the commentator believes. He didn't look "slightly off balance" at all. There is plenty to like there. The first and third look like a guy trying to exaggerate his movements for the sake of the video being produced. I also don't believe he has a "lack of extension" issue.

[video]https://gfycat.com/HardtofindGleefulCaecilian[/video]

You consider this good extension??? He had a very compact swing, lots of contact and not much power. I don't mind his hitting style or lack of, but if there was a video of a HS kid swinging like that you guys would be jumping out of your seats to tell dad what they are doing wrong. lol

Jul 21, 2015
[video]https://gfycat.com/HardtofindGleefulCaecilian[/video]

You consider this good extension??? He had a very compact swing, lots of contact and not much power. I don't mind his hitting style or lack of, but if there was a video of a HS kid swinging like that you guys would be jumping out of your seats to tell dad what they are doing wrong. lol

At what point in that swing would you have liked to see him extend his arms? Extension isn't as important as some make it out to be. It's more important for the body to be in sequence and to barrel up the ball. Here's Trout pulling his hands in and hitting a bomb.

(I wish I could remember how to embed a GIF. Sorry.)

http://noontimebaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Trout_side_noext.gif

Dec 20, 2012
At what point in that swing would you have liked to see him extend his arms? Extension isn't as important as some make it out to be. It's more important for the body to be in sequence and to barrel up the ball. Here's Trout pulling his hands in and hitting a bomb.

(I wish I could remember how to embed a GIF. Sorry.)

http://noontimebaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Trout_side_noext.gif

LOL, no problem

Did I ever say he lacked extension????? I said, some on here would point to his lack of extension. This goes back to my original statement that hitting is over coached. 20 pages of arguing on extension or lack of, so many different opinions on how to hit and any can be or not be successful. THat's why I love the hitting pages, you guys are so passionate about this. Take care.
Project1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55