Ground Power Pitching Method (Step Style)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I came across a old link/word document from the 90's I thought was interesting. It is clearly old and possibly written before spell check existed but an interesting piece nonetheless. The link is the following:
http://www.eteamz.com/instruction_s...ast_Pitch_Softball_a_Cloud_of_Controversy.doc

There have been several threads over the years on DFP related to step-style versus leap and drag pitching so I am not attempting to rehash the subject. However, I spoke with some old friends recently who were pitchers in the late 80's in high school and did the leap and drag style. The won the 6A state championship in high school back then and I say that just to note they were above average pitchers at the time. They commented on how they now both have major knee and back issues which they believe came from pitching. Who knows if they had good mechanics or not back then!! They certainly didn't have the knowledge from the experts on this board and that is for sure! Nevertheless, it makes me wonder, if my 2 DD's continue to further enhance their mechanics as they leap and drag if they still won't have issues down the road. Who really knows until we get down the road I guess.

Both my DD's are leap and drag pitchers and I think most would agree so are 99% of elite pitchers. However, my guess is a step-style pitcher with movement might be just as effective although I haven't seen one in awhile.

Food for thought and that is about all this is worth, if even that!

Feb 7, 2013
Interesting read but I just don't see pitchers going back to a step style method for one very good reason. They release the ball at a farther distance from the batter which gives them move reaction time to identify the pitch and location.

My other concern with this "ground force" method is that the pitcher is required to forcefully slam their hip. I can't see how this would be safer for the back than those using leap and drag mechanics.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Agree RT on the distance! Perfect example is in my 5 year limited experience learning how to pitch (so I somewhat know what is going on) I have somewhat of a step-style. Although it maybe a "pseudo" step-style because it is forceful and I have a very small drag. Officially, it should fall under the leap and drag category I guess because my drag foot does leave the rubber before I plant my stride leg but we are talking 2-3 inches if the wind is behind me. You get me point I hope. Anyway good enough for me as I turn 44 this month and will never play a game of fast pitch softball. Point to the story is I am 6'4" so with my "pseudo" style I get out there a bit, however, my 5'7" 13 year old gets even further with her leap and drag. If I can just get her to keep her drag foot on the ground more than it is now I think her timing will be better thus her velocity. Seems to lose some when she is illegally airborne (scissor/ballerina)......... Fortunately the experts here have pointed out some great things we are working on and it is definitely helping!

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
My dd actually took a couple lessons from this guy. It only took a couple for even my untrained eye to know he wasn't teaching what the best do

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
However, my guess is a step-style pitcher with movement might be just as effective although I haven't seen one in awhile.

The reason they are gone is because leap and drag is better than the step style.

I started pitching in men's fastpitch in 1969. Back then many male and female pitchers used the sling shot and step style. The leap and drag method was around but many did not use it. The sling shot and step style pitchers were dominating so there was no use in utilizing the leap and drag because the dominate pitchers of the past and present at the time weren't using it. As the men's game started to loose pitchers and players in the late 70 into the early 80's you saw the leap and drag being used more and more. The women's game really picked up the leap and drag before the men because of the obvious strengths in the style.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish