GPA / ACT Scores

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2015
Is there a combined GPA and ACT score that is required by D1, D2 and NAIA? Been going to camps this past fall and winter getting bits and pieces on these requirements but can't find any specific guidelines. Or would these be school specific?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
School specific with an NCAA minimum based on a sliding scale with her GPA. Different "schools within the school" can also have different requirements.

May 23, 2010
Google NCAA minimum ACT GPA. I didn't check to make sure they were the most recent requirements, but DI appears to be sliding - GPA of 3.550+ requires total ACT of 37, down to GPA of 2.0 and total ACT of 86. ACT is total of the four sections, so a 37 equates to an average of 9-10 on each section, while an 86 would be about 21-22 on each section. DII requires total ACT of 68 (so average of 17 on each section).

I cannot imagine that many colleges would let in the kid with the 37, since that would be a composite of 9. I don't care how good an athlete the kid is, I think that you could probably achieve that score with random bubbling.

I think most kids should be able to meet these requirements with no problems. Of course, the school may have higher academic standards than these minimums. They might not publish those standards, but a coach should be able to give you an idea of the minimum they can get through admissions.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
NCAA minimums were created with money generating sports (football and basketball) in mind, so a better indicator for all others would be the most recent freshman class SAT/ACT and GPA. An athlete may get some preferential treatment in admissions, but coaches recruit kids they think will succeed in the classroom and on the playing field.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Every school is different.
Some schools tell the coaches they can get X number of students who have a minimum of this GPA and that ACT.
Some other schools give preference to an athlete, even more preference if the coach asks for preference.

When DS was applying for college, his first choice school had certain minimum GPA and ACT scores and admitted anyone who met those criteria, which varied by major. At one point we met with his coach, who took us over to admissions, and they told us that DS' scores were fantastic but he needed to bring up his GPA. He did, he was accepted and he is still at that school and is still on the rowing crew.

A good talk with the coach and the admissions office can clear things up a lot.

Feb 17, 2015
USA
Google NCAA minimum ACT GPA. I didn't check to make sure they were the most recent requirements, but DI appears to be sliding - GPA of 3.550+ requires total ACT of 37, down to GPA of 2.0 and total ACT of 86. ACT is total of the four sections, so a 37 equates to an average of 9-10 on each section, while an 86 would be about 21-22 on each section. DII requires total ACT of 68 (so average of 17 on each section).

I cannot imagine that many colleges would let in the kid with the 37, since that would be a composite of 9. I don't care how good an athlete the kid is, I think that you could probably achieve that score with random bubbling.

I think most kids should be able to meet these requirements with no problems. Of course, the school may have higher academic standards than these minimums. They might not publish those standards, but a coach should be able to give you an idea of the minimum they can get through admissions.

What are you talking about? A perfect ACT score is 36.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
What are you talking about? A perfect ACT score is 36.

I was going to post that but then realized those were total scores of the different sections. NOT the average which the 36 perfect score would be.

I'd be concerned that if I was wondering what the minimum was that DD would have trouble balancing the whole school softball work load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan