Go ahead..say "I told you so"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Well, the honeymoon period is over, and DD isn't getting the playing time/pitching time. Even in honeymoon period, I knew it was coming. DD had a great experience being with the older team these last 2-3 months, but with the last 3-4 tournaments, she hasn't gotten a lot of pitching time...sometimes none. Sunday was the last tournament, and we had 2 new pitchers show up...I saw the writing on the wall then because they were older, more experienced and pretty good. So coach approached us last night before her lessons (he's her pitching/hitting coach too)...said that if she wanted to pick up with another team, he would be okay with that...encouraged her to do whatever she could to get more mound time, but that she would get very little from here on out due to the new players getting more time. He also said that if she found another team as a bracket pitcher, his feelings would not be hurt. He's looking out for her more than anything, and he wants her to pitch...just not with his older team. He said that he isn't trying to run her off the team or anything like that, he just knows that she wants to pitch and he's giving her the way out so to speak. He said that she is going to be a GREAT pitcher...with more mound time. He even said that he would give her a good reference. So...with that said, we are in the middle of April looking for a team...in her age group. I am so ashamed as a parent, and I really wish that I had the brains enough to know better before joining this team. And now my dd is hurting (she won't admit it tho).

So here we go again... :(

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hey, you know the saying - when given lemons make lemonade? Go for it. What state are you in? Maybe someone here can help you.

I am not sure how I feel about an instructor cutting his student from the team. It sounds like a conflict of interest to me. You are paying a guy, to teach her to pitch, yet she isn't good enough to play for him. So, he picks up a couple of players without telling you. Why did he take her in the first place? Was she just a place holder until someone else came along?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If she can pitch OK she will find a Team. Pitchers are a commodity so you probably will have a few choices, especially if she drops down to her age group. Unfortunately she might put someone on the Team she joins in the same position your DD is currently in. Life goes on.

If you do switch Teams, Good luck with your search.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I am not sure how I feel about an instructor cutting his student from the team. It sounds like a conflict of interest to me. You are paying a guy, to teach her to pitch, yet she isn't good enough to play for him. So, he picks up a couple of players without telling you. Why did he take her in the first place? Was she just a place holder until someone else came along?

Actually, while he's the "head" coach, there are 3 other coaches on this team that collaborate with each other. It's not solely his decision. When she tried out and made the team, he stayed out of that decision so as to not influence the other coaches' impression of her. Anyhow, she couldn't compete with other pitchers that were 2 years older than her...and that's not just on that team but in the competition of tournaments as well. She has amazing potential...just needs to get more mound time. She's only started live pitching last Fall...so I can see where she needs more mound time (and doesn't have near the experience of those 1-2 years older than her). We are okay with it, and he was being very honest with us. I guess at the time of tryouts, they didn't have the turnout that they had hoped to have with respect to experienced pitchers...hence her being offered a spot at the time.

Oct 19, 2009
This kind of happen to daughter at one time she played up on a 14U team who had lost their main pitcher because of her age, the team played up 16U tournament and did well the other pitcher came back and played in that tournament. The coach decided to play 16U the rest of the year and told my daughter she would not get to play much and suggested she look for a different team, she was 12.

Something like this can encourage a kid to work hard and show them they made a mistake or it can discourage a kid. It takes heart, grit and determination to continue after a disappointment like this, but it can teach a great lesson.

To make a long story short the team that replaced my daughter only had 4 of the kids left on the team at the end of the season they started with and 3 were coaches kids. They were a great team in the beginning and although I am not sure what was the reason turnover for them happen often.

The team my daughter plays with know the coach who suggested another team for my daughter, daughter tried out for the team and was cut because of poor hitting in tryouts.

Apr 7, 2012
florida
well as coach for a 16u team . i have 3 pitchers. i have one travel ball pitcher , 2 rec pitchers.. and i never place one against the other . i have to say i have the best sports parents you could ask for. 9 wins / 5 loses . but i give all my pitchers the same time. i will say this if you look for new team find one that isnt the very best team . always problems with the teams that are the best .Also i have learned over 7 years of coaching , that some times coaches and parents forget its not about them . find a team that has heart . i have been last and i have been first ..but remember its about the girls not the coaches or parents..good luck ..if in florida let me know

Dec 7, 2011
We can totally identify with ya MS.

Went from 2 seasons ago in first year 14U playing with all second year 14U from a TB-B team to a TB-A. Unfortunately DD looked & acted younger than the other girls and never really got the shot. We then found a closer 16U team for last season that through bad luck and the leadership of that team failing where it ended up being in the end a pick-up 18U team (remember my DD was still second year 14U). That ended up being a flop. Other 18U fly-by-night pitchers in and out of that team displacing my DD. We did get chances being a gypsy with other 16U & 14U teams in the area but it all just felt really unfulfilling.

This season I did extra homework on the new TB-A team DD is on and long story short "things are clickin!"

Moral of the story is => Do your homework on the TB team and make sure your DD WILL be one of the two top pitchers on that team. Also one challenging season, and even two, will not ruin a girl that's motivated and has the skills.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So coach approached us last night before her lessons (he's her pitching/hitting coach too)...said that if she wanted to pick up with another team, he would be okay with that...encouraged her to do whatever she could to get more mound time, but that she would get very little from here on out due to the new players getting more time.

Gotta agree with Amy...what the heck is going on? The PC puts one of his students on his team, and then cuts her because she isn't good enough? Sounds like the guy is clueless about pitching.

I would definitely be looking for a new team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors