Gloves

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2015
Need advice on gloves. My 11 y.o. is pitching or playing 3rd. She has gone through 2 Mizuno Prospect gloves that run around $60. But each one , after a year is floppy and can literally be rolled into a ball. I'm ready to spend more money, and get a glove that will last a few years. I'm looking for opinions on gloves for pitchers, size too. She currently has an 11.5 and I've been told smaller is better for infield. Can someone explain why? She will move to 12" ball this fall, so I'm looking for something that will be good for a summer with 11" ball that will also work when she moves to 12". Thanks!!

Jan 27, 2014
My daughter pitches and plays 1st base, she's in 8th grade. She is 6ft tall so has pretty big hands, her glove is a 13".

It looks like this. I will have to get into her bag and see the exact name of it, but we had problems with previous gloves like you described. We're hoping this one will last a few years. When you get a better quality glove with all leather it's a lot heavier and takes some getting used to. She threw her other one in the back of the truck after about a week and hasn't looked back.
pDSP1-8812812p275w.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Does she fold it over while playing? I tell players that they need to not bend the pinky or thumb in half, or any of the fingers for that matter. I see it done quite often. It's one of the fastest ways to ruin any glove.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
My daughter pitches and plays 1st base, she's in 8th grade. She is 6ft tall so has pretty big hands, her glove is a 13".

It looks like this. I will have to get into her bag and see the exact name of it, but we had problems with previous gloves like you described. We're hoping this one will last a few years. When you get a better quality glove with all leather it's a lot heavier and takes some getting used to. She threw her other one in the back of the truck after about a week and hasn't looked back.
View attachment 10229

Gloves.jpg

I have the other 13" model in that glove. It's the mizuno classic series. I've had mine for 3+ years. In the pic it's top middle. Fingers are just now getting floppy. I still use it if I'm playing or coaching the outfielders

I am wearing my gloves every day - so to get 3 years out of it says something...

Other gloves in the pic

Bottom from left to right: Vinci RV 1961-L (12.75") and Vinci RV57 (12.25"). The 1961 is DD1's and the RV57 is mine.

Top from left to right: Wilson A1K 11.5 (my new BB glove), Mizuno Classic 13" (model GCF 1302) Wilson A2000 33" Catchers glove (model A2403EZCM)

DD2 has a Kelley FPO 126 - great glove but it is heavier than my RV57. The RV57 is made of kip leather and the kelley is cowhide. Kelley doesn't get mentioned here but this glove is going on 3 years and has been great. I just had it re-stitched last month.

To the OP: Spending $200+ on a glove gets easy when you get sick of dropping $60+ once or twice a year on a glove...the Vinci's and the Kelley took a while to break in so just be aware of that...CP

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 139
Aug 29, 2015
Midwest
My DD used a Mizuno Classic 11.5" for 2 years, it seemed to be a pretty good glove for the price. She currently uses a Nokona, which she loves. It was of course more expensive, but getting ready to start her third year on it. Several teammates have Vinci gloves and really like them. Size was more difficult for us, we went with a 12.5" since she mostly plays infield, and occasionally subs to outfield. This was for 12U and the 12" ball.
As I've been told the smaller size is better atleast for middle infielders so they can get the ball out of the glove faster, and aren't digging around in a "basket" trying to located it.

As stated above check with Casedawg51...

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My 14 year old pitches and plays SS/2B, she uses a 12" Vinci we got from Casedawg. She got her Vinci when she was 12 and it was re-laced this past Summer. I think a 12" Vinci is a good all around size glove, especially for a pitcher. Casedawg will fix you up, be ready for a little break in time, they're definitely nothing like a Mizuno Prospect !

Jan 27, 2014
View attachment 10232

I have the other 13" model in that glove. It's the mizuno classic series. I've had mine for 3+ years. In the pic it's top middle. Fingers are just now getting floppy. I still use it if I'm playing or coaching the outfielders

I am wearing my gloves every day - so to get 3 years out of it says something...

Other gloves in the pic

Bottom from left to right: Vinci RV 1961-L (12.75") and Vinci RV57 (12.25"). The 1961 is DD1's and the RV57 is mine.

Top from left to right: Wilson A1K 11.5 (my new BB glove), Mizuno Classic 13" (model GCF 1302) Wilson A2000 33" Catchers glove (model A2403EZCM)

DD2 has a Kelley FPO 126 - great glove but it is heavier than my RV57. The RV57 is made of kip leather and the kelley is cowhide. Kelley doesn't get mentioned here but this glove is going on 3 years and has been great. I just had it re-stitched last month.

To the OP: Spending $200+ on a glove gets easy when you get sick of dropping $60+ once or twice a year on a glove...the Vinci's and the Kelley took a while to break in so just be aware of that...CP

Very good to know! We figured the price tag was worth it if she was able to use it for at least 3 years. We got the 2015 edition instead of the 2016 to save $80.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd