Glove Slap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Now I want to know why you teach your daughter glove slap?

It is taught because the body likes to move in symmetry. The phrase "up together, down together" is something you'll hear often. Its fairly natural that as both arms adduct into the body with power, the glove hits the thigh. You'll also see many pitchers doing an IR movement with their glove hand that mirrors the ball hand.

Sometimes it causes problems, often it does not.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/20324-hes-making-her-slap-her-thigh.html

24v5jbq.gif

2udvyop.gif

fwltfm.gif

4lmtl2.gif

Mar 9, 2015
Does that make the slap less audible?

In our situation, yes.

The glove slap was a bit annoying and also making her leg sore from the slap. By making the adjustment to graze the back of the leg, seemed to eliminate both the soreness and slap noise. Actually, the glove slap is similar to the post from FFS with Amanda S. Didn't realize that till now.

So after a practice with DD last night rethinking my question with a better explanation. DD slaps no matter what it's just how loud when I can barely hear the slap she keeps her shoulders in a kinda open kinda closed position. When the slap is LOUD it's like she closes the door with her shoulder the ball goes high and outside to a RHB. So DD slapped loud less than 10 times last night. For the most part she would correct herself when she did it 3 times in a row instead of telling her to stop slapping I told her to not rotate her shoulders. Looked like it worked for last night at least. Noticed when she slaps loud its normally on her inside thigh not so loud outside thigh. Ahhh questions for next lesson till then how do these two things relate? Am I over thinking this? any advice? more input? I really need to figure out how to put video on this site.

So after a practice with DD last night rethinking my question with a better explanation. DD slaps no matter what it's just how loud when I can barely hear the slap she keeps her shoulders in a kinda open kinda closed position. When the slap is LOUD it's like she closes the door with her shoulder the ball goes high and outside to a RHB. So DD slapped loud less than 10 times last night. For the most part she would correct herself when she did it 3 times in a row instead of telling her to stop slapping I told her to not rotate her shoulders. Looked like it worked for last night at least. Noticed when she slaps loud its normally on her inside thigh not so loud outside thigh. Ahhh questions for next lesson till then how do these two things relate? Am I over thinking this? any advice? more input? I really need to figure out how to put video on this site.

Relatively speaking I think you may be over thinking the glove slap. Check the videos that FFS posted....if your DD is slapping similar to any of these girls be happy...they are all very elite level pitchers.
Certainly there must be something more serious to work on (Brush Interference, Internal Rotation, Drive, Arm Whip). If not mechanically then how about spinning the ball for ball movement, or speed, or location......all these things are extremely important.

Relatively speaking I think you may be over thinking the glove slap. Check the videos that FFS posted....if your DD is slapping similar to any of these girls be happy...they are all very elite level pitchers.
Certainly there must be something more serious to work on (Brush Interference, Internal Rotation, Drive, Arm Whip). If not mechanically then how about spinning the ball for ball movement, or speed, or location......all these things are extremely important.

Thanks for your input. Yeah I am over thinking this i'll just wait till next lesson.

Apr 28, 2014
DD has been a slapper for a while. Her Tincher PC hated it and tried to break her of the habit. I didn't push her too hard to break the habit as when she didn't slap she missed her spots. Two weekends ago her PC held a clinic where another PC from Tincher worked with dd for 90 minutes and alas no more slap. The PC told me that the slap was hurting her velocity. Not saying that it hurts all girls but in my DD's case she said it was. It took a good hour to get her conditioned to bringing her wrist to her thigh instead of the glove. The last few practices her velocity has been higher than ever.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA