Georgia reinstates slow pitch into high schools

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just like states that have FP as a Spring sport and allow TB to be played at the same time, I'd expect it would all depend on the coaches of the various teams.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just like states that have FP as a Spring sport and allow TB to be played at the same time, I'd expect it would all depend on the coaches of the various teams.

I would imagine the SP season will be a lot more low key than the FP season, so coaches may be more laid back. There is also a part of me that wonders if they should keep the SP season for players who do not play FP....

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I would imagine the SP season will be a lot more low key than the FP season, so coaches may be more laid back. There is also a part of me that wonders if they should keep the SP season for players who do not play FP....

DD started her SB career playing SP and I started my coaching career in that old rec league. Believe me when I say it is just as intense, if not more so, than FP simply because every ball is put into play. You have to really drill the team defensively so I wouldn't expect it to be more low key for those that want to make their program a success.

As far as the old rec league goes, they are the only one in the area that still offers that option as well as FP. The numbers decline every year and eventually it won't be sustainable but at one time we had many HS girls playing SP and it was great fun to see them smiling. Some were players and some weren't.

Oct 19, 2009
At one time they had a youth girls slow pitch world series tournament in Pigeon Forge, TN. A friend of my DD played in it a few years ago and she advised the competition was pretty tough. She advised one team arrived on a very nice bus and they played all over the country going from one tournament to another and they were sponsored by one of the bat companies. I think it was SEAA sanctioned, DD played in the FP WS tournament there a few times and the fields are very nice.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD started her SB career playing SP and I started my coaching career in that old rec league. Believe me when I say it is just as intense, if not more so, than FP simply because every ball is put into play. You have to really drill the team defensively so I wouldn't expect it to be more low key for those that want to make their program a success.

As far as the old rec league goes, they are the only one in the area that still offers that option as well as FP. The numbers decline every year and eventually it won't be sustainable but at one time we had many HS girls playing SP and it was great fun to see them smiling. Some were players and some weren't.

If SP was the only only game in town, I would expect it to be played at a high level and intense, not sure it would be as competitive if you took all the FP players out.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Florida had both SP (Fall) and FP (Spring) for many years. The biggest problem was the typical expectation that FP players would play SP in the Fall. That was not always in the best interests of high level FP players with respect to skills development.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Florida had both SP (Fall) and FP (Spring) for many years. The biggest problem was the typical expectation that FP players would play SP in the Fall. That was not always in the best interests of high level FP players with respect to skills development.

The last youth slowpitch rec league I was aware of in South Florida shut down a couple of years ago. Fastpitch rec numbers have been stabilizing but need work.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
For those of us in Georgia it presents two worrisome questions:

1. If High Schools elect to play slow pitch will the many fastpitch travel teams that use HS fields for practice be forced to look elsewhere.
2. Will enterprising HS coaches simply use this as an opportunity to "encourage" their FP teams to play and use it as an extra 3 months of practice time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi