Gauging College Coaches' Interst

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Who, what, when, where? Should parent call the coach? Should travel ball call the coach? Should sophomore initiate this conversation at a camp? This sounds like a sophomore with no history of communication with the coach except sending emails and possibly saying 'thanks, that was fun' with a handshake at a summer camp.

It is better for the coach to do this but it is not always possible. Some coaches may be great people and have skills with respect to softball. Unfortunately some have zero interpersonal and communication skills. If the coach is not someone who can go in and close then someone else needs to do it. You have nothing to lose so ask the question. All they can do is say no. Every no is a step toward a yes. When they say no cross them off the list and move on to the next one. Recruiting is an elimination process not a selection process.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
Who, what, when, where? Should parent call the coach? Should travel ball call the coach? Should sophomore initiate this conversation at a camp? This sounds like a sophomore with no history of communication with the coach except sending emails and possibly saying 'thanks, that was fun' with a handshake at a summer camp.

Listen, I'm just trying to help my DD navigate the recruiting process as best I can. There's been a little more work put in than that, but we're new at this and we're doing our best. I'm happy for you and your DD, just trying to get some info on how to help mine as best I can. Hoping to leverage the knowledge and experience on this board to help her and her teammates realize their college goals.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Listen, I'm just trying to help my DD navigate the recruiting process as best I can. There's been a little more work put in than that, but we're new at this and we're doing our best. I'm happy for you and your DD, just trying to get some info on how to help mine as best I can. Hoping to leverage the knowledge and experience on this board to help her and her teammates realize their college goals.

I think you misunderstood my post.

I was seeking clarification from Riseball and his post on who should make that contact at this point to find out if there is genuine interest. I wasn't criticizing what you and your daughter have done. Mine is in a similar situation as yours, so that's why I asked. Sounds like y'all have done all the right things to this point.

PS - When I described your daughter as ''a sophomore with no history of communication with the coach except sending emails and possibly saying 'thanks, that was fun' with a handshake at a summer camp,'' that also essentially describes my daughter (except that she's a freshman). So again, no offense intended.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Thanks riseball. I wasn’t sure if I could/should contact the coaches directly since I’m her father (also asst coach on travel team though). What would be the best way to contact the coach to begin that conversation, and should it be me or the manager of her HS or travel team? Is this an in-person conversation, or through email/phone call? Really new at this, as you can tell. Just want to get it right and help the other girls on her team as well.

I handled my DD's recruiting but her situation was anything but typical. It is best to keep this at arms length so having another coach make contact is your best bet. You are her Dad so whatever you say even though it may be dead on, it will be suspect. The conversation is best face to face, but failing that a phone call will work. NEVER at any time should you attempt to bring a deal to fruition via email.

All of that said to marriads point they may not be ready to pull the trigger. She is young and they may not be working that far out. So the key is to stay on the coaches radar. In sales their is a technique called the Mayors Campaign. In a nut shell you need to stay in contact with the coach, keep doing what you are doing until the coach is ready to make a decision. If your DD is a 2017 pitcher you need to make sure whenever the coach is thinking about pitching he thinks of your DD. During the season when he laments about how his current pitcher got shelled in the last outing he thinks how things might be better with your DD in the circle.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
I think you misunderstood my post.

I was seeking clarification from Riseball and his post on who should make that contact at this point to find out if there is genuine interest. I wasn't criticizing what you and your daughter have done. Mine is in a similar situation as yours, so that's why I asked. Sounds like y'all have done all the right things to this point.

My apologies…I did misunderstand your post.

This is the scariest part of the recruitment process for me. Like riseball said, she’s a product, a good product in my estimation, but unfortunately that’s not always enough. You have to sell that product…find a need and fill a need. Sometimes the best product doesn’t win in the marketplace; it loses out to a better marketed product that may not be as good. I don’t want that to happen to her, or anyone’s daughter. I think I’m learning the best way to bring the product to the market, just need some good salespeople to help who can close the deal.

Always Be Closing! My favorite
https://youtu.be/Q4PE2hSqVnk

I’m fairly sure some of the schools on her targeted list are interested; I just wasn’t sure how to confirm interest/disinterest. She’s a pretty thick-skinned kid, so she’ll just roll with whatever the schools say.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
For the record, DD is a 2017 utility player. She catches, plays middle infield (2B mostly) and outfield. She's a 2.9 home to first with a pretty good bat. I'm struggling with how to market her to the DI and DII coaches, but she'll probably catch on at that level in the outfield.

I appreciate all the responses. This is great and very helpful!

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
For the record, DD is a 2017 utility player. She catches, plays middle infield (2B mostly) and outfield. She's a 2.9 home to first with a pretty good bat. I'm struggling with how to market her to the DI and DII coaches, but she'll probably catch on at that level in the outfield.

Her GPA and ACT/SAT will be just as, if not more important, than some of her playing stats. Based on the other information you have provided I would recommend spending as much time as you can working on hitting.

Oct 10, 2011
what next?

We are going through this and it's not easy. There is some great advice on this thread. Riseball is correct. .. bottom line is your daughter is going to have to talk to the coach and find out if they are recruiting her position for her year...are they interested in her and if yes or no, could they give advice on what to work on. A friend of ours had a coach say he wasn't interested in their son because he was too quiet, didn't seemed thrilled to be there- even though he had good catching skills (baseball). Another friends daughter was told that they prefer a larger athlete for her position (D2) and then she was recruited to a D1 school. You won't know until the communication starts. It's not always the HC that does the recruiting... She needs to find out and talk to them.
DD started way to late but once she started calling, we really saw results. Still hasn't verballed yet though.
Most D3s wait till late like said earlier except for some of the top schools. Christopher Newport was verballing earlier than most it seemed but they did just sign one of our pitchers that's a senior and another offered DD a spot her sophomore year.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Great that she is a versatile player. But first and foremost she needs to be a hitter. Turn that pretty good into great and she will be set.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
Great that she is a versatile player. But first and foremost she needs to be a hitter. Turn that pretty good into great and she will be set.

One college camp we attended, the coach went around asking the girls what postion they play...after they all answered the various defensive positions, he said "Wrong, when a coach asks you what position you play, you say HITTER!" That stuck with us both. She's actually a great hitter...didn't want to turn this into a daddy brag. Who believes what dad says anyway :D But, I guess there's no room to be modest during the recruiting process. Thanks for all the info riseball. Glad everything worked out well for your DD.