game winning fielders choice??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
So here is the scenerio:
Tie game bottom of the 7th inning home team batting, runner on third with one out. Batter hits routine ground ball to first baseman who opts to step on first base and never tries to make another play(not sure if the first baseman thought there was two outs or just was trying to get an out and didn't realize if the runner on third scored the game would be over), the runner on third scores to end the game. This would be scored a game winning RBI for batter and not a fielders choice??

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I love scoring scenarios - I like to test myself before scrolling down and seeing what the experts have to say.

We had an interesting scenarios this weekend - one I see more often in youth baseball:

Runner on third, 2 outs. Batter hits a clean single to right field. Batter rounds first, then heads for second as F9 throws home to try for the runner. Runner safe, F2 throws to second, gets the batter out. The runner scored before the batter was tagged out. The umpire confirmed that the run scored. In chatting with her between innings, I asked her how she would have scored it. She said fielder's choice, but I was thinking single, thrown out at 2nd - one of those judgement calls, I guess?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
You are correct - 1B, RBI out on the throw to 2nd.

Any time a batter is thrown out trying to stretch a 1B to 2B, 2B to 3B or 3B to HR and is throw out by a fielder they are credit with a hit for the greatest bese they reached safetly. Assuming it was hit and not an error or feilder choice that allowed them to reach 1st.

Had the runner reached 2nd successful on the play you describe it would have been 1B advance to 2nd on throw home.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Great - thank you! This sort of thing happens a lot at our level (14U) so I appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I love scoring minutia. I don't always get it correct but I started keeping score around age 8 at Yankee games. People around me would look at me weird when they'd see some 8 year old keeping a score book and asking dad about how to score some crazy play that just happened. I never understood why that was so unusual until I got older and realized it wasn't normal for an 8 year old to be keeping book.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Very cute!! I was scoring a scrimmage game last night - I was sitting up nice and close; I think I finally understand the difference between a PB and WP :)
I will say, though, that with a somewhat inconsistent pitcher, the catcher's job is very hard - which I was aware of, but it becomes very obvious when I am the one in charge of assigning PB's or WP's.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Scoring a game actualy takes a good deal of focus to do it properly. The added bonus is that it leaves little time to get nervous or obsess over DD's performance or lack thereof!

OK, now that your confident IA, here's your official PB/WP quiz. Assuming HS or younger age so NFCA guidelines are being used, please correctly identify the following statements as true or false

1. A ball in the dirt that gets by the C is a PB.
2. A ball in the dirt that gets by the C is not a WP if it could have been stopped by the catcher with ordinary effort.
3. The identical pitch could be a WP for one catcher and a cleanly caught ball for another catcher.

Aug 14, 2011
Scoring a game actualy takes a good deal of focus to do it properly. The added bonus is that it leaves little time to get nervous or obsess over DD's performance or lack thereof!

when DD learned to pitch, I started learning how to keep a book. It kept me focused on numbers and not on her! 8 yrs later she doesn't pitch anymore, but I pride myself on my scorekeeping, and I can't sit through a game without it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi