Game Tied 2-2 Coaching Strategy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Since the defense has only given up 2 runs, you can assume the pitcher has been pretty dominant but she walked the first batter of the last inning of the game which is a huge "no-no". I like the strategy to bunt R1 over to 2B, and have her be aggressive looking to go to 3rd, if possible. Worst case scenario, you have a runner on 2B with only 1 out and #2 and #3 batters are up.

Would you ever just have #2 - 4 just swing away with R1 at 1st base and hope to get a couple of base hits to win the game?

At 10U probably not, the older ages... stolen bases are hard to get so yes.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pick your poison on how to get her to second with no outs. And hopefully one of them works. Lol. From there, I'm bunting her to 3rd, and if she's there less than 2 outs, I'm bunting my batter. Don't care who is at the plate. They're either going to give me 1st and 3rd or they make the play to 1st and my runner scores from 3rd. Worst case is runner at 1st and 3rd with #4 at the plate. 10u champ from panama this year is a pretty good team. My daughters 10u team played them a few times this season. Going off of our games against them using my DDs team as the opponent, I'm not stealing 9. Catcher is a stud. Lead off is fast, and has the possibility of getting to 1st on a late shown drag bunt. If nothing else, runner is at second with possibility of moving to third on passed ball and giving me shot of bunting her home with 1 out.

Another possibility because they are 10 is to give a fake bunt on batter on 1st pitch just to see if the SS has nickelodeon on the brain and breaking to 2nd for a steal and leaving 3rd open. In that case, next pitch will be a bunt with 9 stealing and running all the way to 3rd. 1 out runner on 3rd. Again, I'm bunting.

Worst case is bases loaded with #5 batter at the plate because #4 hitter was intentionally walked.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Out are precious commodities you only get 3 per inning. I don't generally like giving them away.

That said depending on the batter, runner, catcher, pitcher, etc. I can see a decent argument for bunting the girl to 2nd, particularly if batter has a history of beating out bunts for base hits or 3B is relatively inexperienced.

I can see good and bad arguments for any or all of the following -
1 - Have #9 try to steal 2B
2 - Have #1 hit away
3 - Hit and run
4 - Have #1 sac bunt
5 - Have #1 bunt for base hit with sac as fall back.
6 - Have #1 fake bunt and slap or hit away
7 - Have #1 slap, if slapper

I guess what I'm saying is there isn't a one size fits all answer to this question.

Jul 6, 2013
Worst case is bases loaded with #5 batter at the plate because #4 hitter was intentionally walked.

I was just talking about that situation up to the 4th batter if everything worked out right. But you are correct! Though, with 10 year old girls, I like my odds in a tie game with bases loaded and two outs. Composure level typically not what you get out of the older girls.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I guess what I'm saying is there isn't a one size fits all answer to this question.

Absolutely. There are plays I would try with my team, that I wouldn't with team B. There are things I wouldn't try with mine that I would with team C.

When a coach is in those circumstances, he goes with his gut and some faith in his players.........and hope it works.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Absolutely. There are plays I would try with my team, that I wouldn't with team B. There are things I wouldn't try with mine that I would with team C.

When a coach is in those circumstances, he goes with his gut and some faith in his players.........and hope it works.

During 10U I was happy if the right batter was in the box instead of in the bathroom and if they remembered their gloves let alone the signs.

Seriously, I think 10U needs to be more about the coaches making sure that they learn and use proper throwing, fielding, and hitting mechanics rather than the game strategy necessarily employed to beat the Tony Larusa in the other dugout.

And trying to think back to those days, its more likely some sort of "hit" rather than a successful squeeze bunt will end up most prominently etched in the childhood memory bank.

Last edited:
May 26, 2013
Had very similar situation this past Sunday in semi of 12u tournament. Tie game, extra inning, we're home, runner placed on 2nd (#9 hitter). Leadoff (my DD) sac bunts down 1st base line to get runner over to 3rd. Only it's a great bunt and everyone's safe. Now 1st & 3rd. Next batter also bunts to get the winning run home. This time defense is good and were able to get runner out at home however they forgot about my DD (celebrating their play at home) on 1st who runs all the way to 3rd and when catcher throws ball back to the pitcher, she's able to steel home for the win. My DD's has average speed but is a smart base runner, she did this on her own without any coaches input.