FWIW An Observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It comes down to the phrase "100% ingrained and natural to the girl" which is what I am looking for in a prospect and what I want the final product to look like when I am coaching a girl. The mask by its very nature robs an objective onlooker of the ability to determine if the skill is "100% ingrained and natural to the girl" because we cannot be sure if she is doing what we want because the mask is protecting her or if she is doing it naturally and because the skill is 100% ingrained.

I have observed many, many players who play quite differently sans the mask. I have also seen girls who are animals with or without a mask on. The issue is I don't know which is which until I've seen them both ways several times in games so I have occasion to observe what they do on hard-hit balls, bad hops, short-hop throws, etc. A girl who wears a mask exclusively in games doesn't offer that opportunity.....again, no judgement, just a lack of the knowledge I'd need to make an informed scouting report.

Would your assessment criteria change if your org wasn't telling the girls that they won't get recruited if they wear a mask?

Jun 18, 2010
We make girls tryout without shoes. We can't evaluate true speed when players use cleats. We've had players forget their cleats before and they were afraid to play without them. BTW Cody Lundin of Dual Survivor (obscure reference) sponsors our team.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I guess I do need to face facts.

At some point in her life, she may have to make the tough choice: to protect herself against possible disfigurement, or advance her softball career.

I think the fact everyone needs to face is that the VAST majority of 10, 12, and 14U fastpitch players will never sniff a DI softball scholarship, so the point about advancing a softball career is moot. Stop trying to change the world and just wear the face mask. No one makes her play without it, and if they do, you are welcome to find a TB team with a coach more to your liking.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
We make girls tryout without shoes. We can't evaluate true speed when players use cleats. We've had players forget their cleats before and they were afraid to play without them. BTW Cody Lundin of Dual Survivor (obscure reference) sponsors our team.

I give my kids whiskey and speed. How else will we know if they can withstand the pressures of the beer league they will probably end up in?

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Who gives a crap if she's 100% with or without it.... come game time she's 100%. Isn't that our goal?

You would think.

However, I firmly believe that there are those out there who would pass on a team of 12 mask wearing girls who play lights out and score runs at will simply because of the mask stigma, coach's self created questions, or their personal disgust for the mask itself.

I have yet to see an asterisk next to a national champion notating that it might be in question since some of the players were wearing face masks.

I'll take the 12 mask wearing studs and kick the coach's butt who judges them incorrectly any day.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I have witnessed one concussion this year...which was a batted line drive that hit the runner on third on the side of her (helmeted) head.

I don't think a good 3B will have a problem catching a line drive cleanly without getting hit in the face. It's the bad hop I worry about.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have witnessed one concussion this year...which was a batted line drive that hit the runner on third on the side of her (helmeted) head.

I don't think a good 3B will have a problem catching a line drive cleanly without getting hit in the face. It's the bad hop I worry about.

With or without a mask there are too many players that simply do not have the ability to defend themselves in the face of a superior hitting. Unfortunately this is quite common in HS softball where teams are matched up with zero regard for their abilities.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Again, it has nothing to do with the mask. It is the uncertainty. Once a girl has proven herself without it, she would pretty much be free to use one if she chose to. The vast majority don't, however, because they have proven themselves without it.

Let me rephrase your comment and see if it makes sense...
..it has nothing to do with wearing a cup.. it is the uncertainty.. Once a boy has proven himself without a cup he would pretty much be free to use one if he chose to. The vast majority dont, however, because they have proven themselves without it...

Sounds pretty lame hu? yet a different piece of safety equipment is perfectly ok to bash?

why do so many of you feel a kid has to "prove" themselves with or without a mask? That argument is as silly as the "you really dont know if a batter will stay in the box without a helmet.. lets take them off.. if they stay in the box they have PROVEN themselves"...

If a player can field any and all balls thrown to them and have consistently shown this then does it matter if they are wearing boots, have a oven mitt as a glove or have a mask or not...

Why the heck does anyone have to "PROVE" they can play without a mask? This goes to show the lame attitudes that perpetuate the "you suck if you wear a mask" myth...

Jun 9, 2009
I like to tie their arms behind their back and make them stop a few with their face. I don't feel like there's any other way to know it they're really afraid of the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole