FWIW An Observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
Over the years at parks and even reading this forum for more hours than I care to admit :), it amazes me how passionate and even angry some people get over aspects of a game our DDs play. BTW my observation includes myself...:) It amazes me for example the amount of passion the whole mask debate generates. There are other topics for sure but man oh man...some people seem to believe if my DD wears a mask then ALL DDs at least on the corners and pitcher should wear a mask. Obviously there is the non-mask contingent as well but the pro-mask group seems the most crazy vocal. If your DD wears a mask that is awesome!! Why get so upset when other DDs do not? I am seriously curious why the angst?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
IMO, the mask example is a passionate debate because it is a microcosm of the larger issue in how much government (governing bodies) should mandate rules versus letting it be a personal decisions.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Personally I really have not looked at it that way. DD wears a mask, and I am glad she does. If your DD chooses not to, that is fine with me. No angst on my end. To my knowledge, no one has made disparaging comments towards my DD and I have no interest in heading down that road either...

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We had a family last summer that couldn't believe their kid was the only infielder that wore a mask. They thought even the OFs should wear one and this was 18U. Not saying that everyone who is for masks is of a certain political bent but those that advocate everyone wear one do tend to fall into that nanny-state mentality. I for one don't care if your kid wears one or not. You do what's best for you and will too.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd plays with no fear and is super agressive on defence....this is because she's in a mask and an evoshield chest guard shirt at 3rd base. She typically doesn't wear either if she's at 2nd. I'm passionate about every kid going home safe. This is just a game, but we use this game to teach aspects of our adult lives. Things like responsibility and accountability. As a 12 year veteran of the Army, I have learned to respect all views and will protect those who can't protect themselves. Like the aforementioned bully style coach who insults and belittles the players who choose to protect themselves from a bad hop or line drive.
I apologize to any and all who may have found my posts in the GA mask thread to be insensitive or barbaric. I'm just prewired to never let anyone hurt my girls in any way.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Quite simple: if you have the financial means to cover any and all surgeries your DD will have from a busted face then by all means go ahead and play without a mask.. I will continue to think its stupid but will keep that opinion to myself.. on the other hand if you fully expect the government, the league, and me as a tax payer to subsidize the medical bills to cover the reconstructive surgery or long term care then you lose the right to "choose"... freedom to choose doesnt come without responsibility and accountability and quite frankly I see too many that believe "freedom" is the ability to choose whatever they please without consequences, accountability, or responsability... I call that being an donkeys behind!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just a question for both sides of the argument to ponder.....

Anti-mask - Do you think it is possible that you will ever make this statement: "Boy, I really wish DD was wearing a mask on that play!"

Pro-mask - Do you think it is possible that you will ever make this statement: "Boy, I really wish DD wasn't wearing a mask on that play!"

DD was at a softball camp several years ago with some players that are currently in the NPF. I do not remember the exact words that were used, but it was something similar to what I stated above. It stuck with me...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Quite simple: if you have the financial means to cover any and all surgeries your DD will have from a busted face then by all means go ahead and play without a mask.. I will continue to think its stupid but will keep that opinion to myself.. on the other hand if you fully expect the government, the league, and me as a tax payer to subsidize the medical bills to cover the reconstructive surgery or long term care then you lose the right to "choose"... freedom to choose doesnt come without responsibility and accountability and quite frankly I see too many that believe "freedom" is the ability to choose whatever they please without consequences, accountability, or responsability... I call that being an donkeys behind!
strawman much? PUI?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most 3B play 5-10 feet inside the bag and I have seen some line drives whiz by a 3B head before she ever moved her glove. Scares the hell out of you and makes you want to go to Church on Sunday mornings!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

If you extend this strawman to other risks you will soon realize the folly of this argument.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild