Funny Story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have a rather good student that is a young 12 YO and can top it out at 56 mph. This was documented at an indoor facility with a new Jugs gun.

I use a radarglove and she is consistantly 50-51 on that.

Her dad is young and catches her with no equipment, except a worn out glove. I keep telling him to armor up. So, late in the lesson, I put on my game face and shin guards to catch her and she let lose with some pitch that was a "surprise." She is really only throwing a FB and change, but something quirky happened and that ball hooked coming across the plate and hit me sharply in the right shin guard.

At age 56, I think that would have done some damage w/o shin guards.

She looked quite pleased, her dad looked sick, and I told her whatever that was, to throw it again. :D

Not sure that was funny as I have been nailed in the ankle before and it ain't funny...

I usually don't gear up and I don't use the bucket except for the up close drills - to save my knees.

I find sitting on the bucket makes it really hard to catch those drops. I hate catching drop balls, but she throws them well.
I have used some velcro knee pads around my ankles to protect. Usually don't need them any more though.

Catching inside at a lesson once - pitches clocked at high 60's with the stalker gun - I put on a helmet. Hard to see that ball with indoor lighting at those speeds.
Was glad for that lesson to be over....

Get a decent glove or catchers mitt though. It makes the whole thing better for both the kid pitching and the parent on the bucket. I see some kids let up when they see
the parent flinch from a missed ball or stinging hand. Mine seems to enjoy it and just throws harder....
Thank You Sir, may I have another!!

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Drop curves (that drop and curve) and toes are a lethal comination. I have the big right toe to prove it. Ouch.

Last night was a lesson and I thought the PC called a drop when she called a fastball. Luckily I got the glove up in time.

Mar 1, 2010
My second year 12DD has really picked up the speed this year and has been consistently hitting the high 50's in practice. One of my catchers was sitting on the bucket in full gear when a rise caught her off guard and knocked her over. She lands laying on her back with one of her legs hooked through the bucket handle looking like a stuck turtle. Once she got back on her feet she yelled to my DD, "You threw that hard on purpose".

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
catching the drop curve is always an adventure, my dd is in the mid 50's-
Last night at practice a pitch short hopped off the grass and hit me square in the facemask.
DD said "looks like that finally paid off huh?" didn't faze her a bit. I Started with mask when she hit 50,
I feel sorry for the macho dads that think gearing up is ridiculous

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad