FSU vs. SF - Sara Nevins - Illegal pitch feast!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Then take the rule out of the book.
To me it's simple. They need to enforce the rules as written or re write the book they to reflect the rules they want.

For NCAA at least, then talk to the coaches. They are the ones that write the rules and ultimately led tot he firing of the management when they did attempt to enforce the rules.

Dec 29, 2010
If pitching was easy to do in 6 months everyone would be a pitcher. This quote gave me to a flash back from rec years. Everyone wanted to be a pitcher, be the one with the ball, in the pretty circle. Then like watching paint dry and hearing the bad new bears theme song in the back of my head going, it almost brought tears to my eyes. Oh the parents, give my sally a try cant Sarah get a chance. I have they be working on their motion? Yada yada yada. As coaches you were just thankful if the kid could get the ball over the plate by hook or crook just get the game going please.

Any way back to the thread, these kids who throw fast and work on their craft get away it at a young age. The inexpeience umps to the coaches who dont enforce, and to the pitching coaches who wont change because of the money their getting and knowing these little illegal pitching mechaniques wont get called the 95 percent of the time when they get to higher levels.

Is it fair to the the other pitchers who train and do it the right way by the book? All the hours they spend doing the right way? Go one way or the other but change the damn rule. Nievens could of been called the whole game for i.p. it was a joke.

Nov 14, 2011
If the coaches write the rules then the umpires enforce them, correct? So why doesn't the umpires enforce the rules the entire season vs. when it is playoff time? Is there a section in the rule book dedicated for just this time of the year?

I'm not buying that the coaches fired the umpires enforcing the rules. You can't have it both ways. Coaches write the rules and the umpires can't enforce them?

Never the umpires fault....

Jun 22, 2008
The coaches write the rule book? I find that hard to believe.

The rules committe writes the rules based on input from their membership. The membership is the coaches.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Important%20Softball%20Rules%20Cycle%20Dates.pdf

I'm not buying that the coaches fired the umpires enforcing the rules. You can't have it both ways. Coaches write the rules and the umpires can't enforce them?

Never the umpires fault....

I didnt say the umpires got fired, I said the management got shown the door after they attempted to have the umpires enforce the pitching rules. Everyone saw Candrea on TV throwing a fit about Fowler getting called in the WCWS. As a friend of mine says, all of the coaches want the illegal pitch called, just not on their pitcher.

And I never said it wasnt the umpires fault. If the pitchers are illegal they should be called year round, not just at tournament time.

Jan 25, 2011
Comp hit the nail on the head. It is the coaches that are at fault. If they have a ump that they don't like, who do you think is going to put pressure on? They go to their AD and they go to the management. This can be done at the HS level, seen it happen. Ump was thrown under the bus. That's just HS, what do you think they can do at the college level?

Mar 26, 2013
Are you serious? The pitching circle has nothing to do with illegal pitches.
Did they massage that one out of the rules too? May have missed that. I personally don't care about this one
It's logical to assume the Pitching Circle has something to do with pitching. I once thought so before I became very familiar with the rules. If you think about it, a circle doesn't make any sense - especially since the pitcher is restricted to a lane.

just like I don't care about leaping too (I am thoroughly convinced that the two "advantage" things a so-called pitcher like Nevens does that's an inconsistently called infraction is replanting -crow-hopping-, and pushing from further in front of the rubber)
Yeah, Nevins lands cleats down and only drags a couple inches. Escobedo catches air when her leg is bent and comes down on the tip of her toe.

At this point I don't even care about what is written in the rule book as it seems so convoluted it's like reading something out of the IRS.
It doesn't matter what is written in the rules if they're not enforced consistently. I'd like to see the rules changed to take away the advance of runners and overhaul the violations to what they really want to outlaw. Once that's done, the umpires should enforce them consistently.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Watching Skippy throw for USF today. Cannot believe the dolts on ESPN2 claiming that allowing leaping would provide no competitive advantage. Talk about a game changer that would favor pitchers. Pretty clueless.

Suggestion -> IP becomes a delayed dead ball. Offense has the option of a ball on the batter or accept the play as it stands. Think umpire might be more inclined to call the IP is the penalty were not so severe.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Absolutely - was totally aware - No sacred cows anywhere in my book!

It's not funny to see him ride this poor girl in the ground. How could he even think they have a chance in the WCWS with just one pitcher???

I have watched as he had 5 of the best in the world to choose from.... and pick the wrong one two years in a row....and the ____ the year before that.....This is the link to the the IP. I think they interpret IP to mean International Potential. To see the disregard by the this coach, can't be helping with the Olympic politics.... JMHO :cool:

Really is any other teams having all this IP troubles ???

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad