Four Points of Resistance in Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Doug....I am sure someone here has a video clip of Bill they can post and probably put him and Sarah next to each other at their release point to see how they differ. I will pm PC....he is good at that stuff.

Glad you explained that, as I thought you meant shut-the-door with the hips. The word stoppage seemed to help. I may be wrong, but she seems to close those hips a bit more than the Hillhouse philosophy advocates. And, that's interesting, given women's hips relative to men's.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
A brief explanation of the four points of resistance:
1) The landing leg must not only support the body from collapsing but it must also help stop all the forward linear energy created as the pitcher drives forward off the mound. This "front side resistance" helps transform linear energy into rotational energy (core torque/hip snap).

This is something we are working on. DD says that her knee hurts when she trys. I suspect that she is locking the knee prior to landing and that is causing the issue. I am trying to get her to position her leg firm, but not quite with the knee locked. What do you teach?

When she gets tired the leg gives more and she tends to start a forward lean.

Jul 26, 2010
This is something we are working on. DD says that her knee hurts when she trys. I suspect that she is locking the knee prior to landing and that is causing the issue. I am trying to get her to position her leg firm, but not quite with the knee locked. What do you teach?

When she gets tired the leg gives more and she tends to start a forward lean.

I don't want to derail Rick's thread, as there are some things I do not agree with, but when it comes to the resistance of the leg, I agree. I teach active resistance. It isn't just "stopping" or "breaking" but rather actively pushing back with the stride leg once it lands.

You want to make sure she is not landing heel first and locking out the leg, which will cause pain and jar the body. What you want is as much energy and push back with the landing as you do with the stride. Start fast, stop fast, are cues that help here.

Leg strength and stamina should be trained constantly. There are a lot of agility and strength based exercises that can be used to do this and I encourage seeking out a good program for your daughter to engage on at least once a week.

-W

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Interesting description FFS.....but yes. It almost feels like you are trying to do a "muscle beach pose" as you pull together. We do a drill called "Pull Together" that is the most effective method I've found to emulate what you described. Here is how it goes....don't have a video of it yet so can't give you a visual:

Pull Together Drill----I suggest performing this without a ball numerous times before doing it with a ball (it is never as pretty with a ball). We do it from two different positions...1. K-position 2. Full motion
1. From K-position start with the ball at 12 o'clock and the glove at 2 o'clock....have the feet spaced about 8-12 inches wider than shoulder width. Now pitch....the focus is on pulling the ball and glove down together in sync and on pulling the back knee up to a position just outside the front knee.....these movements should coincide. This needs to be a high energy movement.
2. From Full Motion the intent and focus is the same as from the K-position.

When you perform this drill without a ball and look at the video of it.....it will typically be the best mechanics that pitcher has ever used.
With a ball the mechanics are still very good....compare with and without a ball...strive to be as good with a ball as you are without a ball.

Rick, Is this K position the same set up as the Core Torque drill? Is it important to have the rear leg or front leg set properly to get full benefit from this drill? For the K position version of this drill is it a static start from K or is there a pre-motion into the K position?

Thank you

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SarahPauly_KDrill_zpse8ab2316.gif

Lefty
I usually have the pitcher start from a static K position.....there will be a slight loading that will happen to initiate the move and a slight stride. The reason for the static start is to ensure that the glove is up at 2 o'clock....this is important in timing and balance of the pull together.

Rick, Is this K position the same set up as the Core Torque drill? Is it important to have the rear leg or front leg set properly to get full benefit from this drill? For the K position version of this drill is it a static start from K or is there a pre-motion into the K position?

Thank you

You will note in the video clip that the landing leg finishes straight (extended)......this extension move is more a function of the core/hip rotation then from an active resistance/pushing back.......if pushing back works as a cue then great, but many pitchers misinterpret this (pushing to them means raising the heel and pushing with the toe) and create extra body movement during release when the ultimate goal is stability/minimal moving body parts during release.

The leg extension in pitching is created very similarly to leg extension in hitting. I am not aware of a push back being used in elite level hitting.

I don't want to derail Rick's thread, as there are some things I do not agree with, but when it comes to the resistance of the leg, I agree. I teach active resistance. It isn't just "stopping" or "breaking" but rather actively pushing back with the stride leg once it lands.

You want to make sure she is not landing heel first and locking out the leg, which will cause pain and jar the body. What you want is as much energy and push back with the landing as you do with the stride. Start fast, stop fast, are cues that help here.

Leg strength and stamina should be trained constantly. There are a lot of agility and strength based exercises that can be used to do this and I encourage seeking out a good program for your daughter to engage on at least once a week.

-W

Jun 18, 2012
Utah

Why the palm up and wrist-cocking when the ball is over her head? Further, in a discussion I started awhile back seeking help with DD's pitching, I was told that the elbow shouldn't be as bent when the ball is overhead.

[video]http://oi31.tinypic.com/5akoeq.jpg[/video]
[video]http://i41.tinypic.com/4jrrl4.gif[/video]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez