Foul tip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Batter attempts to bunt and fouls the ball off and hits the umpire in the face mask. Runner advances from 1st to 3rd. The umpire is dazed and calls the pitch a ball and not a foul ball. Is it a wild pitch or pass ball?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It is a foul ball.

Unless you only have one umpire, then it doesn't matter because you should have two so they can help with that call.

If you are talking scoring it depends on whether the scorer is the pitchers parent (passed ball) or the cathcers (wild pitch)

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Foul ball notwithstanding, passed ball. That would be a really tall umpire that the catcher can't reach up to block the face mask area.

Jan 28, 2017
Foul ball notwithstanding, passed ball. That would be a really tall umpire that the catcher can't reach up to block the face mask area.
Jr. catcher has committed already. Definitely a foul ball. Just hate to give her a passed ball but thought that was the proper scoring. My wife keeps the book and DD was pitching. I actually forgot my wife was at work that night and wasn't keeping the book. Not sure how they scored it. Catcher hasn't ha da passed ball all year until this one I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019

how? the catcher’s glove was much lower before the deflection. nobody has reflexes that quick.

as a scorer, your only decision is passed ball or wild pitch. ump already called the pitch a ball.

wild pitch is charged to the pitcher when the pitcher throws so high, wide or low that the catcher can not handle the ball with ordinary effort and at least one runner advances.

catcher could not field with ordinary effort.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
It is a foul ball.

Unless you only have one umpire, then it doesn't matter because you should have two so they can help with that call.

If you are talking scoring it depends on whether the scorer is the pitchers parent (passed ball) or the cathcers (wild pitch)
They missed the call but. Jr. catcher has committed and of course my wife keeps the book but wasn't there that night due to work and DD was pitching. LOL. I'm not sure how the scored.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
how? the catcher’s glove was much lower before the deflection. nobody has reflexes that quick.
Having to create a situation in my mind since reality is suspended by not calling the foul ball. A catcher should be able to handle a high pitch that is at the umpire's face mask level. Especially if she knows it is going to be a high pitch.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Maybe to keep everyone happy call it a ball with runner advancing on defensive indifference? Pitcher doesn't get punished for a wild pitch, catcher doesn't get punished for a passed ball, runner doesn't get credit for stolen bases. :unsure:

Oct 14, 2019
Having to create a situation in my mind since reality is suspended by not calling the foul ball. A catcher should be able to handle a high pitch that is at the umpire's face mask level. Especially if she knows it is going to be a high pitch.

I can see that. But you don’t have to worry about what the ump called. That’s his call. You just have to decide whether catcher in actuality should have caught the ball.

Probably no right answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00