Flex/DP lineup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
To add more fun to the DP/flex, both the DP and flex can play defense at the same time. However, if the flex is not playing defense and the DP is, it's considered a substitution.

Well, not really, but the FLEX would have left the game and need to use her re-entry (assuming one is available) to return to the game.

Feb 15, 2016
Well, not really, but the FLEX would have left the game and need to use her re-entry (assuming one is available) to return to the game.

Technically in NFHS it is a substitute by definition. 2-57-1
ART. 1 . . . Substitute. A substitute is a player not listed on the lineup as a starter but who may legally replace a starting player; any player who enters or reenters the game; the DP when the DP plays defense for the FLEX; or the FLEX when the FLEX plays offense for the DP.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Technically in NFHS it is a substitute by definition. 2-57-1
ART. 1 . . . Substitute. A substitute is a player not listed on the lineup as a starter but who may legally replace a starting player; any player who enters or reenters the game; the DP when the DP plays defense for the FLEX; or the FLEX when the FLEX plays offense for the DP.

Don't think you want to start me on the Fed's rule making mentality :)

Apr 13, 2015
it is a substitution...... you can start someone in the flex and begin the game by telling umps that you are entering your DP for the flex right away defensively. If that same flex player goes in then it is a re-entry correct. We re-entered a different flex to hit for DP, who now is out of the game because we hit for her. All legal correct? Thanks

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I thought I'd post this as an FYI. I have been using the DP/Flex with the Flex being one of my pitchers that doesn't hit as well as others. We start with the DP on the bench the first inning. My DP has a lot of ability and can play every position. So, after the first inning, my DP takes the field in a rotation that I have posted in the dugout. So, every player sits in a rotation. There are some potential drawbacks to this but what I have found is that I have 10 starters who have really jelled.

Note, I really don't need a runner for any of these players and the most I will ever have at a game is 12. You have to be careful in your rotation of the DP if you intend to sub a player in for another for example, defense. At times, I have my DP skip a position in the rotation and stay on the bench and extra inning or two.

Apr 13, 2015
My scenario....our pitcher is a hitter (DP) and we put a player in flex spot, so we start the game with DP playing on defense but if we sub we don't want the pitcher to play defense so flex comes in and our 3B goes to pitch....DP continues to hit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00