flapper gate/calf pitcher thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Let them leap and get rid of the controversy. If the rule was enforced uniformly from day 1, there would be no issues. It's not and girls get to the top still leaping and coaches still arguing. Or change the penalty that treats it like a balk, since there is no disadvantage to the runner.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Let them leap and get rid of the controversy. If the rule was enforced uniformly from day 1, there would be no issues. It's not and girls get to the top still leaping and coaches still arguing. Or change the penalty that treats it like a balk, since there is no disadvantage to the runner.

Want to get rid of the leap, take away the drag and make them stay in contact the PP throughout the delivery as the rules originally were. For that matter, that would eliminate many IP and would make it obvious when there was one

Jan 25, 2011
I'll try this question again-

What if her toe really was in contact during this game and the flap was there for her to feel good contact? Or even of it was there for a placebo effect?

So if someone posted video of the entire game and saw that her toe was actually touching would everyone still be up in arms about this?

I think a lot of people took what a bitter coach said and ran with it and assumed it was an extension. Do you really have that low opinion of the umps, the kid, the coaches etc? I doubt any of them would approve of it as an extension.

So what if a video shows that her toe is not in contact with the ground and the flap is? If the flap is the only way she stays in contact with the ground. Then to answer your question, yes I will have a low opinion on the umps, the coach and the adult pitcher. She is not a kid, she is an adult.

Jun 18, 2010

What if her toe really was in contact during this game and the flap was there for her to feel good contact? Or even of it was there for a placebo effect?

So if someone posted video of the entire game and saw that her toe was actually touching would everyone still be up in arms about this?

I think a lot of people took what a bitter coach said and ran with it and assumed it was an extension. Do you really have that low opinion of the umps, the kid, the coaches etc? I doubt any of them would approve of it as an extension.

JJ IMO, the perception is she has a history of illegal pitches, whether that perception is reality I don't know, I've not really followed her career.

The original reported story starts like this:

California pitcher Katie Sutherland-Finch’s flap at the end of her shoe was a big topic of conversation at Lady Vols softball co-head coach Karen Weekly's media luncheon. With the flap, Sutherland-Finch was able to legally pitch the ball with the flap hitting the ground. Sutherland-Finch had not pitched an inning this season because of her illegal pitches. Because of this questionable flap, her foot legally hit the ground, thus preventing any illegal pitching motions.

...so a "history" or "reputation" for illegal pitches, then the addition of the flap (for whatever reason)...

Whatever the motivation for the flap, be it for a feeling, or placebo, don't you think the flap itself would make it more difficult for an umpire to have a clear determination of an illegal pitch? How is the umpire to know if the shoe or the flap is making contact? IOW, the flap gives the appearance of trying to hide an illegal pitch from the umpire.

BTW, I have nothing against Katie personally. I can only imagine what a great person and hard worker she truly is. You don't get to her level without a lot of effort and hard work. I hope the very best for her.

Edit: I can't find any recent video of her pitching, so I don't know how similar her pitching is to this 2012 example:

ksf_slow_zpscnygsaaz.gif

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Nano- if the video showed her toe is not in contact but the flap is then we are back to square one, she was leaping and this falls into the whole leaping debate, flap or no flap it was a leap.

I am not sure I understand if you are saying that if her toe was truly in contact with the ground that you would still have an issue with it since they allowed any external device (even if it only helped her psychologically), or if you are saying that you only have an issue if they were allowing the flap to extend the shoe for contact that you have an issue with it.

Jun 18, 2010
On 02/25/2015 a real pitchers dual was taking place between the UCF pitcher (Shelby Turnier) and the UF pitcher (Aleshia Ocasio). In the thrid inning Florida scored the first run of the game on this illegal pitch call:

7_ucf_ip2_1_zpsmmcaaarn.gif

The illegal pitch was called because the pitcher "lost contact" with the pitchers plate.

Half joking, half not, why wouldn't a pitcher add flaps to the toe of the stride foot and heal of the drive foot? Where would you draw the line to these equipment mods?

Jan 25, 2011
Nano- if the video showed her toe is not in contact but the flap is then we are back to square one, she was leaping and this falls into the whole leaping debate, flap or no flap it was a leap.

I am not sure I understand if you are saying that if her toe was truly in contact with the ground that you would still have an issue with it since they allowed any external device (even if it only helped her psychologically), or if you are saying that you only have an issue if they were allowing the flap to extend the shoe for contact that you have an issue with it.
If the flap is touching the ground. So if she pitched with out the flap so wouldn't touch the ground. That is what I have an issue with.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

She should just claim that it is for religious purposes and an open and free expression of her sexual and ethnic identity. The federal government will start supplying them free of charge at a field near you. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00