Fixing a Missed Infield Fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 29, 2012
We had a game last night, bases loaded, one out. Girl hits a pop up in front of the plate. Pitcher and catcher look at each other and then pitcher lunges for it, hits her glove and drops on the ground. Umpire said nothing. Catcher tags the batter and the runner on 3rd not knowing that it was an infield fly started going and was tagged when going back to 3rd. I asked the umpire if it was an infield fly and he said yes. I said you didn't say anything and he replied that he pointed his finger skyward. Who was looking at him when the ball was in the air. He said he pointed and that was sufficient. I was always taught and have taught my team that the ball is in play if the umpire says nothing. He is suppose to call foul, dead ball or anything that isn't simply the ball being fair. Am I wrong to think he is supposed to yell out "infield fly, batter is out"?

May 30, 2011
We had a game last night, bases loaded, one out. Girl hits a pop up in front of the plate. Pitcher and catcher look at each other and then pitcher lunges for it, hits her glove and drops on the ground. Umpire said nothing. Catcher tags the batter and the runner on 3rd not knowing that it was an infield fly started going and was tagged when going back to 3rd. I asked the umpire if it was an infield fly and he said yes. I said you didn't say anything and he replied that he pointed his finger skyward. Who was looking at him when the ball was in the air. He said he pointed and that was sufficient. I was always taught and have taught my team that the ball is in play if the umpire says nothing. He is suppose to call foul, dead ball or anything that isn't simply the ball being fair. Am I wrong to think he is supposed to yell out "infield fly, batter is out"?

Yes the correct mechanic is to make a verbal call on IF. Pointing in the air is not a correct signal, IF is a closed fist like any out but with arm extended up rather then in hammer. There is never a reason for a silent IF call. Well, except when the umpire forgets to call one!

Remember what has already been said about the IF rule on ordinary effort. Maybe this should not have been considered an IF seeing as how the fielder had to dive or lunge to just make an attempt.

Feb 29, 2012
Thanks Ernie. It was clearly an IF. The two girls were looking at each other waiting for the other to go for the ball. If either of them had just gone for it it would have been a routine out. It should have been the catcher. The umpire did say it was IF but he just didn't verbalize it so no one knew

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
We had runners at first and second with one out the other night, batter hits a fly ball maybe 5 feet onto the outfield grass between the first baseman and second baseman. Second baseman probably had to run 15 feet to catch it. No IF call, and I didn't say anything to the umpire, who was probably all of 15. After the third out, I go to him and ask, "You didn't have infield fly on that second out?" He says, "No, the second baseman had to run too far." I said, "I'll buy that, as long as you can explain it."

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We had runners at first and second with one out the other night, batter hits a fly ball maybe 5 feet onto the outfield grass between the first baseman and second baseman. Second baseman probably had to run 15 feet to catch it. No IF call, and I didn't say anything to the umpire, who was probably all of 15. After the third out, I go to him and ask, "You didn't have infield fly on that second out?" He says, "No, the second baseman had to run too far." I said, "I'll buy that, as long as you can explain it."

Well, he may have explained it. It was wrong, but it was an explanation.
Distance a player must move is irrelevant to the rule. As much as all the people whined, this was not an incorrect call:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/39509938/

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I took his explanation to mean that in his opinion, it was not an "ordinary effort" situation for the second baseman. I realize I could have argued with his opinion, but I chose not to. I told him I was glad that he could explain his decision based on a level of knowledge of the rule. Frankly, I was surprised that he was aware IF was in effect.

May 18, 2015
As an umpire for 15 years.
I never missed an IFF call.
But I would do in a rec game
is to have a conference with both managers
and if both parties are in agreement,
Then make the correct call.
Batter out, runners back to their original base.
Bottom line is to make the right and honest call.

One time in a 10u rec game,
I asked the batter did the ball hit you?
She said yes, from my angle I didn't see it.
I awarded the batter first base.
The coach ask why did you ask her?
I told the coach do you teach your players and kids to lie?

As a coach I'd rather lose on a good call,
than to win on a bad call.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2009
It is my understanding that the only outs that could be reversed on an uncalled IFF are force outs. If runners were off bases at the time they were tagged out, those outs would stand. And yes, the batter would be retroactively called out.

Remember the purpose of the rule is to prevent an easy double or triple play by allowing the ball to reach the ground, while runners would be tagging up on a fly ball.
I might give one exception, if I judged that a runner left a base because she thought she was forced to run because of the uncaught fly ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00