Fixing a Missed Infield Fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
This happened in our game tonight. We had first and second, no outs. The batter hit an easy pop fly to the secondbaseman. The ump didn't call the IFF. R2 ran without stopping, R1 held up. The secondbasemen dropped it, then threw to second to try to get R1, and the throw went into the outfield. R2 scored, R1 went to third, and the batter ended up on 2nd.

The other coach told the ump it should have been IFF. The ump rightfully agreed, called the batter out and sent the runners back. My feeling is the runners shouldn't have had to go back because they still would've ran if the ump called it correctly. We shouldn't be penalized for the ump missing the call. Our HC didn't argue it, and the runners ended up scoring anyway so it was moot.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This happened in our game tonight. We had first and second, no outs. The batter hit an easy pop fly to the secondbaseman. The ump didn't call the IFF. R2 ran without stopping, R1 held up. The secondbasemen dropped it, then threw to second to try to get R1, and the throw went into the outfield. R2 scored, R1 went to third, and the batter ended up on 2nd.

The other coach told the ump it should have been IFF. The ump rightfully agreed, called the batter out and sent the runners back. My feeling is the runners shouldn't have had to go back because they still would've ran if the ump called it correctly. We shouldn't be penalized for the ump missing the call. Our HC didn't argue it, and the runners ended up scoring anyway so it was moot.

I agree, R1 should have scored and R2 stayed on 3B

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207