First time @ 43 ft

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Our 2nd year 12U team had a friendly against our 2nd year 14U team yesterday. Definitely intimidating to see the size difference on the field. My DD got the start and since it was her first time pitching from 43 feet in a game, I asked her about the difference on the way home.

Her response: "Huh? We were pitching from 43 feet?" :rolleyes:

Obviously her mother's daughter......

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Absolutely typical behavior. Unless you are looking across the corners it is hard for most to tell the difference. Have been in a few tournaments with my 18U team and found we were going on to a field set at 40 feet. With a DD that was bringing mid 60's at the time I was a bit reluctant to mention it. :)

Jun 7, 2013
Often the only way I can tell the difference between a 40' and 43' mound is to get the tape measure out.

My youngest DD last year pitched for the freshman team (43' mound) and 12U travel ball (40' mound). She had absolutely no problem going back and forth.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Some people use to post in the rules forum:

We were in the middle of the 3rd inning and noticed the pitching plate was at 35’ and it is supposed to be at 40’, what is the rule? (or visa versa)

I would hope someone would notice but I guess not. 

40’ and 43’ are harder to tell, I do not think DD would notice.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Pretty easy to tell... stand at 1st or third and look across the field at the opposite base.

If the rubber is just in front of the direct line across it is at 40'. If it is behind it is at 43'

Mar 28, 2013
my DD pitched a 16u friendly last summer and she felt it was hard to keep the pitch in the zone, she was also getting hit Allot. and the change was always very low and she was skyballing the rise. finally during the third inning she called time out and measured. The rubber was set for mens slow pitch which I think is 58 feet, We had two umpires, Both coaches. the other pitcher, both catchers and all the parents never noticed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877