First Showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
You don't bring anything. The coaches should build a team profile-letter size with basic info:
Name-grad year-position-uniform #-GPA, weekend schedule and a link to the team website. Parents do not speak to
college coaches directly at a tournament. A coach/player advocate acts as a liaison between colleges and players.
Put the team profiles in an accessible area near the back of backstop where the coaches watch the games.
hanging the profile without a voice from an advocate is not enough. We have 2 player advocates who speak to
coaches and have a great success rate.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
Her TB team had a video made of each girl. There was also a small pamplet with their stats and accomplishments. I also talked to coaches. They asked about my daughter and I told them. They mostly just talked on her small size, but mentioned her athletic ability. I actually heard one college coach tell a girl she needed to lose weight... now that shocked me. I know she wouldn't have gone to that school for anything.

Sep 17, 2009
What you should bring to a showcase is the knowledge that your DD has spent the previous weeks emailing and maybe even snail-mailing coaches about her interest, sending them a short profile, a link to a short skills video AND especially her schedule with times and field locations for the tournament.

If you've done that, coaches might show up (and you might see them -- or you might not) and your coach might hear from them at the event, or more likely you could get a follow-up email later, especially, again, if your DD reaches out with a post-showcase email herself.

The great thing is all that isn't too hard to do, and can even be fun, and it WILL result in some interest and visits from coaches. And that is even more fun : )

Good luck!

Sep 18, 2011
What you should bring to a showcase is the knowledge that your DD has spent the previous weeks emailing and maybe even snail-mailing coaches about her interest, sending them a short profile, a link to a short skills video AND especially her schedule with times and field locations for the tournament.

I couldn't agree more, although in my opinion they should wait until the week of the tournament before sending emails so that they can be reasonably sure that they are giving the coaches accurate schedules. Usually the showcases will have a website with a list of coaches who have attended in the past. That's a great place to start.

We had so many talented players on our team last year and it amazed me to hear that almost nobody reached out to any coaches prior to the showcases. I guess they figured they would be "discovered." Well... maybe, but the odds aren't great.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Well that depends upon what type of showcase she is attending.

DD is going to one tomorrow at HBU that will be filmed and sent out to college coaches. This org does that often and supposedly has great results. I can see where a college coach would like to review a group on girls on video from the comfort of their office. If some peak any interest then that coach can go out and see them in person.

So, if you are going to a traditional showcase, then you need player profile info. If you are going to a filmed showcase, then you only need your DD to play hard and have a great attitude.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1