First college visit - DD nervous!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My DD is a 2017 graduate and has her first unofficial visit tomorrow with a school 45 minutes from home. It is one of the schools on her list, but she still has a few schools on her list still. She asked the coach if she could come and visit and he has invited her to watch a scrimmage game and talk to the coaching staff. What questions should she ask? Since she is a HS junior I don't think that this school is aggressively recruiting her. It is a small school, but it does have her major so that is very important to us.

So how should she approach this visit?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is easier said than done, but relax and have fun. It sounds like something informal, so I would be surprised if the coaching staff grills her with tough questions. If you want to help her review some typical interview type questions.

1) Tell us about yourself
2) What are your strengths?
3) What are your weaknesses?
4) What type of teammate are you?
5) Why do you want to go to this school?

Nov 14, 2011
Very informal but I want her to be prepared if the coach wants her to ask questions. Thanks for your advice.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Off the top of my head:

Make sure she carries her own bag (if applicable)
Both of you remember- the coach wants to talk to her, not you.

Ask about:
-what positions may be opening up that they would need to fill?
-What do they do for practice in the off season?
-what majors do other players have- anyone with your intended major?
-Where you haven't been to college, you're concerned about the workload- is there any kind of academic support available for the team?
- Do the players tend to live near each other and/or room together?
-Would you be allowed to play intramural sports (or other activities) in the off season (if you are interested)? I don't know about all schools, but some don't allow it even if you do have the time. I know many DIII schools will allow you to play another sport in the fall season.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
My DD is a 2017 graduate and has her first unofficial visit tomorrow with a school 45 minutes from home. It is one of the schools on her list, but she still has a few schools on her list still. She asked the coach if she could come and visit and he has invited her to watch a scrimmage game and talk to the coaching staff. What questions should she ask? Since she is a HS junior I don't think that this school is aggressively recruiting her. It is a small school, but it does have her major so that is very important to us.

So how should she approach this visit?

How did it go?

Nov 14, 2011
How did it go?

It went very well. She talked to the coach by herself for a while and met a few of the players. She got to ask the players questions about the program, college life and how to juggle softball with academics. This school has a very high graduation rate and ranks very high in team GPA. She wants to go back again in a few weeks and talk to the counselor and meet some of the professors in her program.

Thanks for asking and for providing some advice before her visit.

Aug 26, 2015
It went very well. She talked to the coach by herself for a while and met a few of the players. She got to ask the players questions about the program, college life and how to juggle softball with academics. This school has a very high graduation rate and ranks very high in team GPA. She wants to go back again in a few weeks and talk to the counselor and meet some of the professors in her program.

Thanks for asking and for providing some advice before her visit.

Happy it worked out for your DD!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1