First Base Footwork

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
How do you step with your right when you have to throw a runner out at another base?

Too many steps. If you are right handed step with your left.

IMO you absolutely have to get the out at first, first before you can do anything about getting the next out. On wide throws to the right, stepping out with your right foot increases your reach approx. 2 feet v. always stepping out with your left foot (assuming RH thrower). Being comfortable and instinctive stepping out with the appropriate foot to adjust to errant throws will result in more outs/fewer free bases on 'bad' throws in the long run. As far as being quicker to throw to the next base, if you step out with your left, the next move is a forward drop step with the right, then another step with the left so that's 2 steps. Step out with your right and you may need only 1 step with the left foot before launching a throw. But even it doesn't, how many plays per game does the 1B make and how many of those plays require an immediate throw to another base? And if that other runner is so important, make the initial play on her (or pull early and sacrifice the out at 1B to ensure getting that runner).

Learning to set up, switch feet, and then transition to throwing takes lots of time and practice but it pays game dividends (and is noticed by those who aren't easily impressed).

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Learning to set up, switch feet, and then transition to throwing takes lots of time and practice but it pays game dividends (and is noticed by those who aren't easily impressed).

This is the essence of any catch being made at any bag from any thrower. Players must anticipate that the throw will be errant therefore do not set up in a stretch until you see the ball being on/off target. Find the bag, feel the bag, see the throw, then set your feet. This is crucial to teach young players who are probably less consistent in throwing accuracy than desired, and an absolute for young girls who want to play 1B.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
IMO you absolutely have to get the out at first, first before you can do anything about getting the next out.

AMEN, brotha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On wide throws to the right, stepping out with your right foot increases your reach approx. 2 feet v. always stepping out with your left foot (assuming RH thrower).

You'll have to explain this to me, as I believe the reach is further with stepping out with the left foot, as the shoulder surely goes out with the left foot, leg, and hip. We're talking about errant to the right from the first-baseman's perspective? If the errant throw is to the first-baseman's right, I think a possible negative is having the first-baseman's back toward the thrower because of stepping out with the left leg. Stepping out with the right for errant throws to the first-baseman's right would keep the first-baseman square with the throw, though the reach across the body would shorten the reach. It's a trade-off.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
AMEN, brotha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll have to explain this to me, as I believe the reach is further with stepping out with the left foot, as the shoulder surely goes out with the left foot, leg, and hip. We're talking about errant to the right from the first-baseman's perspective? If the errant throw is to the first-baseman's right, I think a possible negative is having the first-baseman's back toward the thrower because of stepping out with the left leg. Stepping out with the right for errant throws to the first-baseman's right would keep the first-baseman square with the throw, though the reach across the body would shorten the reach. It's a trade-off.

Complicated to explain clearly, best I can do is to suggest experimenting with it yourself - try leading with both feet for throws to 1B's left and right, both high and low and also make sure to try it setting up from different corners of the bag. Maximizing reach to make a one-handed catch/scoop is the primary objective, which can sometimes be a trade off and leave the body in less than ideal position for blocking or transitioning to throwing; leaving the bag to make sure to get the throw is always an option if its more important to prevent additional advance than it is to try to get the out.

Apr 28, 2015
I have tried it several ways and teach my daughter to put both heels on the bag and see the throw before stepping. However, I believe you get more reach to the right by stepping to the right with the left foot. You turn your back to the thrower but you can then step the right foot over (behind) and be set up to make a throw if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2015
Ha, ha. Linked here from another thread and forgot that this was a year old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand